Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working Up First Minor Load

GlockenHammer

So, I've read as much as I can and am ready to work up my first .40 minor PF load. I have the components selected and now have two variables to work with...OAL and powder charge.

Goal: PF 135+ (~820 fps)

Bullet: Ranier 165g RNFP

Primer: CCI small pistol

Powder: AA2 (HS6 also available)

Barrel: Glock 23 - 4"

It seems I've chosen a less popular bullet and powder for the purpose, but it's what I've got.

While I can't find any loads for this bullet and powder, I have a pretty good idea I want to be around 4.9g of AA2 for that bullet weight to go 820fps. This is based on a 165g SIE JHP bullet going 916 fps with 5.6g.

But how do I pick an OAL for my combination? The various loads I've seen range from 1.115 to 1.135. Since this is my first ever load, I'm a tad nervous and seeking a little guidance.

Thanks,

GH

load 1.135...when you burn up all that AA2 powder, buy some CLAYS for minor 40s...its the cleanest, softest shooting minor 40 powder you can get.

Harmon

Thanks. How did you figure 1.135? Feeding reliability or something to do with pressure or powder volume?

load 1.135...when you burn up all that AA2 powder, buy some CLAYS for minor 40s...its the cleanest, softest shooting minor 40 powder you can get.

Harmon

Thanks. How did you figure 1.135? Feeding reliability or something to do with pressure or powder volume?

I'm not Harmon, but I'm guessing he's indicating that OAL (which is the standard) because it gives you pressure-tested data to work with, and it'll be reliable in your Glock. The guys who are working with longer lengths are winging it, pressure-wise; plus they're working with 1911s, which are designed to work with longer ammo.

I'm not Harmon, but I'm guessing he's indicating that OAL (which is the standard) because it gives you pressure-tested data to work with, and it'll be reliable in your Glock. The guys who are working with longer lengths are winging it, pressure-wise; plus they're working with 1911s, which are designed to work with longer ammo.
Thanks. Off to the press.

• 1 month later...

GH,

This is my bullet. If you would like to send me a PM with your email address I can send you some chrono data with various powder charges and OALs so you can see the changes in PF with each variation.

Here is my receipe

165 Ranier FP

4.0 grains of TiteGroup

1.15 OAL

Produces an average PF of 133. In a 10 round batch all 10 exceeded the minimum PF. Min PF was 129 and Max PF was 138.

• 3 weeks later...
GH,

This is my bullet. If you would like to send me a PM with your email address I can send you some chrono data with various powder charges and OALs so you can see the changes in PF with each variation.

Here is my receipe

165 Ranier FP

4.0 grains of TiteGroup

1.15 OAL

Produces an average PF of 133. In a 10 round batch all 10 exceeded the minimum PF. Min PF was 129 and Max PF was 138.

Texas HK Shooter, That receipe is pretty much what I was looking for. I have only 165gr. Rainers on hand but I couldn't find a receipe with TiteGroup. Are you using a 4" or 5" gun? I am going to my first match in a few weeks and I wanna make sure I makePF. Thanks!

Edited by ShootinIt

• 2 weeks later...