Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double During A Cof?

D.Hayden

During a course of fire if a competitors pistol doubles once, should they be stopped? Is this considered unsafe equipment?

Happened today, on the 6th stage of a local match. He stopped himself.

Should the RO stop them? If so, is that stage over, or can they reshoot with a different (same type) pistol?

What applies here?

Thanks...

If the shooter stops himself and feels the pistol is unsafe, then the stage is scored as shot to enclude all penalties.

As an RO myself I would not stop the shooter if it doubled and both rounds went down range. I would think that the shooter just flooted the trigger. If it happens more than once on a stage, I would have to believe that it is not flooting the trigger, I would stop the shooter. I have seen a lot of new shooters who are just starting to get into this sport, shoot a little to fast and get that deer in the headlights look. In most cases if the shooter is experanced enough he will know if the double in an issue or not.

5.7.6 In the event that a Range Officer terminates a course of fire due

to a suspicion that a competitor has an unsafe handgun or unsafe

January 2004 Edition Rule Book • 47

ammunition (e.g. a “squib” load), the Range Officer will take

whatever steps he deems necessary to return both the competitor

and the range to a safe condition. The Range Officer will then

inspect the handgun or ammunition and proceed as follows:

5.7.6.1 If the Range Officer finds evidence that confirms the suspected

problem, the competitor will not be entitled to a

reshoot, but will be ordered to rectify the problem. On the

competitor’s score sheet, the time will be recorded up to the

last shot fired, and the course of fire will be scored “as

shot”, including all applicable misses and penalties (see

Rule 9.5.6).

5.7.6.2 If the Range Officer discovers that the suspected safety

problem does not exist, the competitor will be required to

reshoot the stage.

Edited by Carl Provan

During a course of fire if a competitors pistol doubles once, should they be stopped? Is this considered unsafe equipment?

Happened today, on the 6th stage of a local match. He stopped himself.

Should the RO stop them? If so, is that stage over, or can they reshoot with a different (same type) pistol?

What applies here?

Thanks...

A gun that doubles is unsafe, and the competitor should be stopped. It can be difficult for the RO to know that the gun doubled, and was not caused by something like the competitors finger slipping on the trigger.

If the competitor stops himself, the stage is over, and is scored as shot. No reshoot.

If the RO stops the competitor for an unsafe gun, he should inspect the gun. If the unsafe condition is confirmed, the stage is scored as shot. No reshoot

If the RO stops the competitor for an unsafe gun, a reshoot is required if it is shown that the unsafe condition did not exist. If the RO becomes convinced that the gun did not double, a reshoot is correct.

also see

I agree, I will not stop a shooter on the first "double" as there are other circumstances than cause this besides an unsafe gun. However, if it does it a second time, I will stop him. Of course if he stops himself, all the RO can say at that point is "If you are finished, unload and show clear".

Gary