Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manny Bragg's Advanced Practical Shooting Class

nhglyn

I just got back from USA where I took Manny's advanced practical shooting class for two days. This class, limited to 4 students, focused on breaking down stages into smaller segments and then working on each segment to save time through that array of targets. You then put the segments together as a whole stage and hopefully you can turn 18 sec stages into 15 sec ones.

What I really liked was that Manny would run the stage at match speed and he would plot the time of every shot on a legal pad. He then calculates what he thinks a "goal" would be for you, say 80% of his time, and calculates all those times next to his. As you work through each segment he then looks at each split, transition, draw, and reload and sees where you are losing time. He then works on that area until you can reproduce that goal number going through that segment. I started out at 80% but by the end of the class I was hitting 90% of his times so I am really happy with the results.

The class was absolutely GREAT and Manny is, as advertized, a great teacher. He can "see" things that you are doing that waste time and then he shows you how to do them correctly. You then practice and practice until he is happy and decides it is time to move on.

I highly recommend that anyone who has taken his Beginner course look into taking this one. I believe it will really help me with my match shooting in the coming months. If you have not taken the Beginner one you should really look into doing that first, but he is pretty booked up and you should contact him soon if you want to do his class this year.

Oh, and the best thing was that the other 3 folks who had signed up for the class were unable to make it so it was Manny and I for 2 days of 1 on 1. :)

I ended up shooting 2100 rds! Off to the Summer Blast this coming week to see if I can use what I learned.

Edited by nhglyn

I just got back from USA where I took Manny's advanced practical shooting class for two days. This class, limited to 4 students, focused on breaking down stages into smaller segments and then working on each segment to save time through that array of targets. You then put the segments together as a whole stage and hopefully you can turn 18 sec stages into 15 sec ones.

What I really liked was that Manny would run the stage at match speed and he would plot the time of every shot on a legal pad. He then calculates what he thinks a "goal" would be for you, say 80% of his time, and calculates all those times next to his. As you work through each segment he then looks at each split, transition, draw, and reload and sees where you are losing time. He then works on that area until you can reproduce that goal number going through that segment. I started out at 80% but by the end of the class I was hitting 90% of his times so I am really happy with the results.

The class was absolutely GREAT and Manny is, as advertized, a great teacher. He can "see" things that you are doing that waste time and then he shows you how to do them correctly. You then practice and practice until he is happy and decides it is time to move on.

I highly recommend that anyone who has taken his Beginner course look into taking this one. I believe it will really help me with my match shooting in the coming months. If you have not taken the Beginner one you should really look into doing that first, but he is pretty booked up and you should contact him soon if you want to do his class this year.

Oh, and the best thing was that the other 3 folks who had signed up for the class were unable to make it so it was Manny and I for 2 days of 1 on 1. :)

I ended up shooting 2100 rds! Off to the Summer Blast this coming week to see if I can use what I learned.

Yeah Manny is teaching some shooters here in Houston, and I have heard nothing but good things about his classes. I got a chance to meet him at a local match here and at the Space City Challenge. Seems to be a very personable guy who really cares about his students. If I were to take an advanced practical shooting class, I am positive it would be from him.

nhglyn,

You lucky dog!! I was one of the 3 that had to cancel, due to a promotion at work I got and it changed my schedule. Manny had told me what the class would entail months ago and I loved the idea, but got stuck this time. I'll catch it again. Sounds great though.

Kevin