Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti 2011

Joe D

Well just finished fitting all the major parts on a 2011 in .40 that I have been building while waiting for my hand to heal from surgery. Everything went together pretty smoothly. Sure is a lot of extra material on the bottom of the slide.

Anyway I am fitting the ejector this morning so I cut the little notch on the ejector and notice that the pin hole looks a little large. Got a pin out and it just flops around in the hole. What gives here? Does STI use a larger diameter pin? If so they ought to ship you one with the frame kit.

Well just finished fitting all the major parts on a 2011 in .40 that I have been building while waiting for my hand to heal from surgery. Everything went together pretty smoothly. Sure is a lot of extra material on the bottom of the slide.

Anyway I am fitting the ejector this morning so I cut the little notch on the ejector and notice that the pin hole looks a little large. Got a pin out and it just flops around in the hole. What gives here? Does STI use a larger diameter pin? If so they ought to ship you one with the frame kit.

It would be nice if the day had more than 24 hours in it too. :(

You need to get some 3/32" sized pins or a piece of drill rod that diameter.

But for somebody who was able to "resize and fit" a non-factory fitted set from STI that shouldn't be a problem. It is definetely not a job for a newbie, for sure. There will be a lot of other parts that will require carefull fitting too, especially the thumb rest , barrel hood and feet, grip safety, etc. all of which require carefull consideration to avoid later problems.

By the way, while you are at it, consider this: If you purchased (as an individual) the frame, slide and other components as a loose parts project to put together yourself, rather than using a previously existing frame from a different (store bought completed gun) source, you might be considered liable/responsible (by the powers that be) to pay FET/manufacturers taxes for the complete "new" value of your project. :wacko::huh:<_<

Thanks for the replies. I figured out it is a .093". Guess I need a trip to Lowes to find a roll pin. I have build many 1911s. This was my first 2011. I would not use a Kart EZ fit next time either. A regular "gunsmith" fit barrel is easier to install. I filed on those little "nubs" until they were completely gone. Nice lock up now. About .048" engagement with a center firing pin location.

An Ed Brown grip safety fit much better than the STI GS. Only needed just a small amount for grinding.

This is a put together gun from spare parts laying about. I am doing it on the cheap. I may just Parkerize it.

On a side note the STI slide and Kart barrel fit on my Kimber .40 perfectly. The Kimber barrel went into the STI slide and locked up perfectly also. Well almost. I had to take the .198" slide stop out and put a .200" in.

By the way, while you are at it, consider this: If you purchased (as an individual) the frame, slide and other components as a loose parts project to put together yourself, rather than using a previously existing frame from a different (store bought completed gun) source, you might be considered liable/responsible (by the powers that be) to pay FET/manufacturers taxes for the complete "new" value of your project. :wacko::huh:<_<

Only if you make more than 50.

Small Manufacturers Exemptions

Q. What was the effect of the amendment to U.S.C. 4182 regarding the 50 gun exemption from Federal Firearms and Ammunition Excise Taxes?

A. As of October 1, 2005, any pistol, revolver, or firearm that was manufactured, produced or imported by a person who manufactures, produces or imports less than an aggregate of 50 such articles during the calendar year is now exempt from the tax.

Only if you make more than 50.

Small Manufacturers Exemptions

Q. What was the effect of the amendment to U.S.C. 4182 regarding the 50 gun exemption from Federal Firearms and Ammunition Excise Taxes?

A. As of October 1, 2005, any pistol, revolver, or firearm that was manufactured, produced or imported by a person who manufactures, produces or imports less than an aggregate of 50 such articles during the calendar year is now exempt from the tax.

Shred-

Maybe I'm wrong? Correct me if I am. But it was my impression that the 50 gun exemption is/was intended for FFL licenses (gunsmiths/dealers) engaged in business and not for "individual" consumers as I noted, who if they (as non licensed individuals) "built" 50 guns would have a hard time explaining them if they were sold within that same year... or even "one" gun. I believe that law has applied all along for individuals, just not really enforced for whatever reasons. (????)

( Sorry for the thread drift!)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

Same FAQ, further down. Note this is about the taxes only. There are other laws too.

Manufacturers and Producers

1. Am I a manufacturer?

You are a manufacturer if you manufacture or produce a taxable article from scrap, salvage, junk material, new material, or raw material by:

* processing, manipulating, or changing the form of an article; or

* combining or assembling two or more articles.

[Refer to 27 CFR 53.11 (definition of manufacturer)]

Manufacturer. Includes any person who produces a taxable article from scrap, salvage, or junk material, or from new or raw material, by processing, manipulating, or changing the form of an article or by combining or assembling two or more articles. The term also includes a “producer” and an “importer.” Under certain circumstances, as where a person manufactures or produces a taxable article for another person who furnishes materials under an agreement whereby the person who furnished the materials retains title thereto and to the finished article, the person for whom the taxable article is manufactured or produced, and not the person who actually manufactures or produces it, will be considered the manufacturer.

[...]

3. If I purchase an article in knockdown condition and assemble it, am I liable for FAET?

If you purchase an article in knockdown condition and assemble it, your liability for FAET will depend on the following factors:

* the amount of labor, material, and overhead required to assemble the article; and

* whether you assemble the article for business or personal use.

[Refer to 27 CFR 53.11 (definition of manufacturer)]

4. If I manufacture an article only for my personal use, am I still liable for FAET?

If you manufacture a firearm for your personal use, you are not liable for FAET. (Note: this exemption does not apply to partnerships and corporations)

[...]

I went round and round with the feds on this once. I asked if I can make a gun for personal use and they said yes but you can't ever sell or trade the gun because it has not had the excise tax paid. I asked how I could go ahead and pay the tax as an individual to avoid ever having any problems and their response was that I could not pay the tax, only a licensed manufacturer can pay the tax. From their response, there is no way for an individual to pay the excise tax.

I went round and round with the feds on this once. I asked if I can make a gun for personal use and they said yes but you can't ever sell or trade the gun because it has not had the excise tax paid. I asked how I could go ahead and pay the tax as an individual to avoid ever having any problems and their response was that I could not pay the tax, only a licensed manufacturer can pay the tax. From their response, there is no way for an individual to pay the excise tax.

Then the response is as clear as "an individual for personal use may purchase the components and build themselves an open or limited gun without having to pay the FAET". Thank you! :D