Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Idpa Gun Glock 17 Or 34, Any Advantage?

I am getting into IDPA for the first time. I shoot a lot of 45acp guns but would like to get a gun that shoots fast, low recoil and most importantly the cheapest I can. I figured 9mm is the cheapest probably has the lowest recoil (please note: I am buying factory ammo) and its my understanding there is no points bonus for shooting larger calibers. So I love Glocks and figured a 17 or 34 with a 3.5lb trigger would be a good gun. Is there any real advantage to shooting a 34 over a 17 for IDPA? The cost of a new 34 is a couple of hundred over a 17. I thank you for your help and if you have a better solution than these two guns please let me know.

Thanks,

David Naperville, IL

I prefer the 17. There isn't a lot of difference shooting them, but the 17 just feels better. It feels a little faster and snappier to me, it also feels a lot more comfortable clearing the holster. The 34 gives me the sensation that the draw goes up to my armpit to clear the holster, that isn't even remotely true but it feels awkward to me. Some time practicing would take care of it I am sure....

The best thing for you to do is to try both, and take the one you like best. Out of all the Glock shooters I know most like the 34 better and almost all of the rest have no real preference.

I am shooting a G17 and XD40. I just ordered a G34 for Practical shooting(something the guys at XDtalk would cane me for) because it was the cheaper option. Us Military guys get a deal from Glock dealers. I will most likely use the 34 for Practical and the XD40 for IDPA. I really like the Glocks, but I just love the XDs trigger. I still like my G17 because the price was so right. 300$ at a show. I really have this problem of shooting all different pistols, and not sticking with one to get batter with that one. We have several people shooting the 34, 35, and xd tacticals. I still beat them with a G17.

I shot both the 34 and the 17. I ended up selling the 34 and keeping the 17. After listening to everyone I thought I would shoot the 34 faster. This was not the case. I actually shoot the 17 quicker and it frankly feels better when I shoot it. I just didn't like the way the 34 felt during recoil. After coming to this decision I told a few people and many of them had done the same thing and had gone from the 34 to the 17.

If you get a chance try both of them out and see which one feels better to you. My choice is the 17 but many like the 34. Good luck.

Bob

How about buying a complete 17 and a 34 top end later. :P Both top ends interchange so you can always switch back and forth.

+1 what HSMITH said. It does take more movement to clear the holster but I think the slightly longer sight picture on the 34 is better for the long distance shots. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. :(

Either top end would be hard to come by, considering Glock is no longer selling slides anymore. Believe me I tried. A Caspian top end would cost as much as another Glock, so that is out too. Also I don't know if a Caspian slide would be legal if you were going for SSP. Deffinately not legal for production IPSC.

Edited by theknightoflight

I would get the G17 and spend some extra on a 3.5lbs. connector and some good sights. Polish the internals and you are ready to rock.

The 0.7 inch in sight radius is not worth the extra $ IMO. The money you save will buy you a nice holster and some pouches.

I shot a 17 in SSP and a XD 40 in ESP and limited 10, I switched a few months ago to the 34 setup for ESP. I sold the 17 and my XD 40 tactical is back in the safe . I can now shoot IDPA in ESP and USPSA limited and limited 10 with the same basic setup.

Also the biggest reason for the change was that my scores got alot better and my times to first shot getting faster.

It is a personal choice, try both out....but either way you want go wrong :D

spankymac

compguns.jpg

Edited by spankymac