Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Reloading Setup

spook

I want to shoot some Bulleye type stuff with a .38 Special revolver. I'll probably shoot about 200 rounds per month tops.

Now I already own a 650XL set up for .45 and 9mm (which I shoot a lot).

I've been looking to get a conversion for .38 Special, but the amount I will shoot does not justify the price of a Quick change with powdercheck and dies ($300).

So what would you get? Accuracy is my first goal. Single stage press? Turret Press? I can get a complete Lee Single stage kit including Dies and measure for under $100.

Suggestions?

There is a fellow on another forum, www.castboolits.com, with a Square Deal in 38/357 for $150 plus shipping. He also has one in 45 ACP for the same price.

You are familiar with progressives so a Sq D seems like a possibility. I think the price is OK, not sure if he will dicker or not. Don't know him, no dog in the hunt, just saw your post and had seen his.

Bob

I just set up my conversion for my 650 so I know what you are thinking. I ended up not going with a full drop on conversion to save money.

If you are interested in a low priced setup.

I have a Lee Pro1000 setup with extra turret die plate and the adjustable powder bar, minus the sizer and seater/crimp dies (used them on my 650). I will ship to you for 50.00 to get it out of my closet.

Nothing wrong with it I just replaced my two Lee's with the 650.

The other one is complete for 9mm with extra turret plate, adjustable powder bar, case funnel plus I have a complete carrier for 44 mag if anyone is interested in it as well.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I owned 2 SDBs which I sold to buy the 650. SDBs are great, but I don't like the idea of only being able to use the SDB dies. I need the press for top notch accuracy.

AZ38, thanks for the offer :) I have loaded on a Lee Pro 1000 before and they're good presses. Better than some people think. I must admit though that for bullseye type shooting I found the powder system to be a little too inconsistent.