Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LAMR

Mo Zee

When a competitor goes on the line, is the competitor allowed to walk through the stage. I know that it is possible to walk thorugh while the squad is patching/pickup up brass and plates. Is there a minimum time that can be walked through?

Another question...

Once the LAMR command is given how many minutes does a competitor have to get ready without being pressurised by the RO.

5 minutes is the standard after the walk through.

Minutes after the LAMR? If you need mulitiple minutes to get ready by that time maybe you need to re-work your LAMR routine. You can do a lot in a minute, like shoot 3-5 stages. Be ready to LAMR when it is your turn to play, it will make everybody happy.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. It should take you less than a min to load your gun a make ready. There is no need to take a 15 sight pictures and dry fire on every visible target from the start box. Also you shoulden't be able to practice your draw and exit from the start position 10 times. Once is sufficent. Dry firing and draw practice should be done at home.  Some people also mentaly visualise the entire COF after the LAMR in the starting box using thier hands. This should be done during the walkthru or when your are on deck.

When you are called to shoot you should be ready equipment wise and mentally. Doing your preparation in the start box only delays everyone else.

I am one of those guys who doesn't take enough time. I think common sense and courtesy plays a large part, but if you are not ready, say so.

A couple of months ago I was all loaded and had my hands at the surrended position and the RO asked, "Are you ready?"  Things didn't seem right, my visual focus was off and my mind was wandering so I said "No" and put my hands down. He asked what was wrong and I told him I didn't know. I cleared my head and said let's do it again.

Mo Zee,

When it comes to ROs, I always emphasise that the most important thing to do is properly manage and control your stage.

I don't expect ROs to know every rule in the book, but I do expect them to treat every competitor equally, fairly and impartially. A good RO will manage and control his range so that everybody gets the same number and duration of walkthroughs.

Once the squad has done an orderly group walkthrough after the briefing, the only person I will allow to do a final walkthrough while targets are being scored and patched is the next guy on the line.

He (and everyone else in turn) will be given the same space and time to get into zen mode, without interruption from range officials or other competitors.

However once I return to the starting area, I'll call you to the line, relax you then give you the LAMR command, at which time practice is over.

I will also give you a "reasonable" time to get ready. There is no fixed rule and I don't think we need one, because everyone is different.

A competant RO reads body language, and he can feel the differences.

• 2 weeks later...

Great responce  VP  Mo Dee This very subject was taken up as a question in Front Sight a couple of issues ago. I think some my have not read the responce from John Amidon. He stated that there is no set time limit for a shooter to get ready after the LAMR command.I do agree that ever shooter should know when he or she is on deck and next. I do not agree that a set time limit is at all nessary. One maybe set a lot faster then another based on experience or maybe slower based on experience.  VP is right as an RO you have to manage your stage well but I for one dont want anyone rushing me.    

Go Fast   Shoot A,s

Speaking from the sometimes unpopular position of the Nationals staff......

Five minutes for the squad to play after I read the walk-thru....

On deck shooter (only) playing on the stage while we score, tape etc.......

I call you to the line, may have some chit chat and ask if there are last minute questions, and issue LAMR....

You LAMR, shoot the stage and we are ready to score.

I try to accomodate every shooter and their routine while staying consistent, and not giving any individual shooter an advantage. However, the bottom line is that during the big matches, you must come to the line ready to shoot. There simply is not time to allow a lot of messing around getting ready. If I ask you to step down in the rotation because you were not ready, I am not 'picking' on you...... I am simply accomodating the rest of your squad, and the squad after you.....

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the reasons I advocate no sight pictures at the LAMR, this leads to a practice draw, dry fire, then running through the course of fire, whilst every one else is waiting. At the AH World Shoot off, we had to put a time limit on the LAMR as some where taking 2 or 3 minutes. Practice in the safety area, not on the line.

Barry

Quote: from TheOtherErik on 3:27 pm on Jan. 6, 2003

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. It should take you less than a min to load your gun a make ready. There is no need to take a 15 sight pictures and dry fire on every visible target from the start box. Also you shoulden't be able to practice your draw and exit from the start position 10 times. Once is sufficent. Dry firing and draw practice should be done at home.  Some people also mentaly visualise the entire COF after the LAMR in the starting box using thier hands. This should be done during the walkthru or when your are on deck.

When you are called to shoot you should be ready equipment wise and mentally. Doing your preparation in the start box only delays everyone else.

While there is no real need for 15 sight pictures, there is a need for a practice draw or two.  When I step in the box for a stage I take a couple practice draws and a sight picture.  The reason I do this is every stage has a different geometry to it.  

For example shooting 99-10 your first target is in front of the box, however if you are shooting 99-48 your first target is at a 30 degree angle to the left.  In 99-10 I am standing prepared to move to the right immediately after the 6th shot.  In 99-48 I am posed slightly different.  I would be standing facing 30 deg left and rotating 60 deg right.  The draws for these stages are different, so I set up in the box and check my hand positions, draw, etc. at LAMR.