Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Extractor 15 Or 90 Degree

gunny

Wife is shooting a Glock model 17, first generation. The ejected casings are hitting her on the forehead. I removed the extractor and polished it. And clipped 2 coils off of the recoil spring.

Now it extracts the casings directly over her head, with one occasionally hitting her.

Glock sells two extractors a 15 deg. and a 90deg. I am assuming the 90 deg. extracts the cases vertically and the 15 deg. laterally?

Gunny,

The extractors mentioned do not indicate the angle of ejection. The angles refer to the ejection port. Early Glocks are 90 degrees and the newer ones are the 15 degree extractors.

If you are looking at the ejection port from above, look at the right rear corner where the extractor is. A 90 degree extractor, which your first generation Glock would be, you will see that corner is square (hence 90 degree). Newer Glocks will be cut back 15 degree and this supposedly aids ejection.

Some Glockers have had some luck by modifying their ejectors (filing; bending etc.). Try to do a search, IIRC it was talked about before.

Barry B)

Flex is correct. It's mostly grip. My wife does the same thing with every glock I've owned. Lighten the recoil spring to speed up the slide and work on the weak hand grip to control the muzzel flip. A Tungsten guide rod would help with this too. A 3rd gen glock with the 15 degree extractor would also help. They have a tendency to eject more to the right than the first gen models, but not much.

A good baseball cap wouldn't hurt either :D

Thanks for the advise!

We shot tonight with 2 coils clipped off the spring and a different load. It ejected much better.

The baseball cap is an excellant idea. . .come to think of it when she is shooting a match and wearing a cap, its no problemo.