Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Packing For The Area 5 Match (a Little Early)

Micah

Wisconsin is a hump from Dayton, Oh, and I would hate to be at Area 5 and have a part on my Glock 34 break, and not have a replacement. What Glock parts, and how many, do you recommend I pack up and take with me if my baby starts falling apart :(

Ummmm ........... a little early bro.

Knock back a beer for me, and ponder ................. ah, yes! B)

Remember tiny grasshopper ................ Glocks do not break!

If you want to be fully prepared for the worst .................

1. firing pin, firing pin spring, and spring cups (assembly)

2. recoil rod & spring (assembly)

3. trigger spring

4. spare mags

5. spare sight(s)

6. locking block

If you can afford all of the above get 'em, otherwise buy in this order.

Wisconsin is a hump from Dayton, Oh, and I would hate to be at Area 5 and have a part on my Glock 34 break, and not have a replacement. What Glock parts, and how many, do you recommend I pack up and take with me if my baby starts falling apart :(

How about taking another 34?

I carry a spare for pretty much everything except the frame, slide, and barrel. That said,

in 4 years of running Glocks in Production, Limited, and for the last couple of years G17's

in Major 9 Open, I've broken exactly ONE part. Sheared the barrel lug off on my Open

gun at a club match 3 weeks ago. Didn't have a backup gun with me, it was raining hard,

and I went home. Fitted a new barrel, and ready to start shooting at Area 1 tomorrow

morning at 8 AM.

Probably the most replaced parts:

Striker. I've seen a few snap off the tip.

Trigger spring.

Striker spring--they get weak at the worst moments. (carry spare spring cups also)

Front sight. Seen half a dozen fly off into a different dimension.

Connector. Usually you can tweak them back if they lose tension.

Recoil spring/guide rod. Carry a spare, especially if you are using the stock plastic one.

Magazine catch spring. Seen a couple break. Can be a pain to replace!

Excellent veteran advice gents, thank you!

AikiDale, my G34 is like my favorite pair of sandals. Broken in, well loved, and comfortable. I would much rather replace a single part if I can, as opposed to going to the backup gun. I'm sure that you understand :D

My replay is strictly from an armorer point of view on the most common parts seen damaged and broken on law enforcement guns for the most part in order of frequency.

Slide stop

locking block pins (primarily the upper thinner one)

entire mags (that's a no brainer)

firing pin safety block (damaged)

extractor (cracked or chipped)

trigger spring

entire firing pin assembly (usually the pin itself is damaged or the cups)

mag release spring

those are the most common but obviously not all that can go wrong. When you inspect as many as I do on a regular basis, some of them 10 + years old, you run into some broken parts. Glocks are reliable but they definitely do break. Nothing is 100%.

Edited by jbullgpd