Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plates Record With A Revo?

rtr

Was talking to one of the guys who's been around pistol competitions a long time. He said he shot Bianchi back in the 80's (maybe 84) and was shooting with BE who was shooting a revo.

Said that if someone cleaned the plates they would let them keep shooting to try and set a new record. When BE stepped up record was 34, said BE finally threw a miss at 240 plates because he was running out of ammo.

Is that true BE? If so regale us with the story.

I think he's acutally told that story here, but if he did it was back in '02 or '03. One thing I do remember is that he ran out of his own ammo and someone (TGO? Frank Glenn?) was scurrying around begging ammo from everyone and anyone so BE could keep shooting. It was a pretty damn cool story.

505 comes to mind.

And the shooting for X's procedure changed because of it. When BE did it, you shot at 25 yards until you missed. The time stayed the same at 9 seconds.

Now, you shoot the whole plate match again starting at 10 yards..with 2 seconds less. The time is further reduced as you shoot more.

The NRA does not differentiate for purposes of records between revo and semi auto. The most current records posted, under new sequence on NRA website are:

Plates

Metallic: Leatham 480-49X ( I think this has been surpassed )

Open: Pride 480-195X

The "retired" Record of BENO does surround the 505 number. I am not certain if he hit 505 or if 505 was the one he missed, I think deliberately. Whatever the case, the plate was removed from the rack and awarded to him.

Some irony is that during that Cup, I believe John Pride was somewhere over 200 plates (maybe that is the 240 figure) and he was tired of shooting and "put one in the bank" as he thought no one would touch that.... and then came Brian Enos!

Another goofy quirk of NRA is that National Records may be set, per NRA rules, in plates by reducing the time by one second for each distance after one runs the first 48 and subsequent 48 plates. However, at the Bianchi Cup (as a match director change to COF) they reduce the time by 2 seconds per string. I would venture to say that the Plate Record will likely not be broken at the Bianchi Cup except maybe Metallic, as that drop from 6 to 4 seconds is much more difficult than the drop from 6 to 5 seconds and so on.

Way to go Brian!

I do know a local guy that got down to the 3 sec. run with a revo. To do this he cleaned the first 48 at regular time, then 48 more with 2 sec. down per string, and then a few more down 3 sec. per string. Probably had in the area of 110 total or so. Problem was, his forcing cone was coming off in chunks, thus creating a 15 lb. trigger pull, and he had to brush the cylinder face between strings just to get it to turn.

The man himself could tell the story better. After all this, and winning the Plate event that year, that plaque sits in the bottom of a box in his attic. I dont think he has looked at it since he won it.