Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing The Extractor Pins...

spook

Hi everyone,

I just found the perfect EPP (European Police Parcours) revolver. A great looking M15-4. It looks great and there's not even a line on the cylinder from the cylinder stop, so I figured it has hardly been fired. The only flaw it has is that one of the extractor pins (the two small pins on the cylinder that hold the extractor in place on the old S&W revolvers) is missing, or broken.

I broke two of those pins on my old 625 dry firing it and my current 625 also has one broken off.

Which made me think that I'd better learn how to get the old broken pins out and how to replace them.

Are they intergral to the cylinder, or are they a replaceable part?

If replaceable, how do I get the remaining piece of the broken one out?

How do I fit the new ones and does S&W even sell them as a loose part?

Any info about these interesting pins is more than welcome ;)

Thanks!

Thanks for the fast replies :)

RGS, what kind of Armorer kit are you referring to?

pskys2, unfortunately sending anything to S&W is not really an option since I am in Europe and it would be a major hassle (especially if it happens more than a couple of times).

Any idea how to get the stuck part out? Drilling?

pskys2, unfortunately sending anything to S&W is not really an option since I am in Europe and it would be a major hassle (especially if it happens more than a couple of times).

Hi Spook,

if you want to, I can ask Ralf - he´s working with these pins also on new revos he´s building.

best,

Sascha

are you now coming to our nationals? STI Open was pretty a lot of fun with the swiss guys in one squad - there was only a dutch guy missing.... B)

Hi Spook,

if you want to, I can ask Ralf - he´s working with these pins also on new revos he´s building.

best,

Sascha

are you now coming to our nationals? STI Open was pretty a lot of fun with the swiss guys in one squad - there was only a dutch guy missing.... B)

Hi Sascha!

It would be awesome if you could ask him. He's like the Randy Lee of Europe ;)B)

PM-ed you on the German Nationals :)

Bjorn

If nothing else send an email to a specific S&W 'smith (Randy Lee may be able to help too) and explain your problem.

I "Think" the pins are just a press fit. But they're so small it may take a jewlers kit to pull them out if they're broken off flush.

Keep us abreast if you find out something slick and easy.

The solution Spook is to "Quit Dry Firing", HA!HA! :rolleyes:

If nothing else send an email to a specific S&W 'smith (Randy Lee may be able to help too) and explain your problem.

I "Think" the pins are just a press fit. But they're so small it may take a jewlers kit to pull them out if they're broken off flush.

Keep us abreast if you find out something slick and easy.

The solution Spook is to "Quit Dry Firing", HA!HA! :rolleyes:

Hahaha, quit dry firing. Jeez, the thought alone gives me the creeps ;)

I think it will take some time before I get it done, but I'll post it in this thread.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Hi Spook,

just called Ralf but he was busy, Sylvia told me, that if Ralf gets a broken one for fixing, he usually cuts the second one also (grinds the broken one, if necessary) and drills two holes one bar offset and puts two new pins to the cylinder.

If theres one which is not broken and it still works- just use it, till the second one breaks, then fix if necessary....

Hope that helps, DVC,

Sascha

Thank you very much Sascha! Useful info. I will just use the guns with only one extractor pin until they break (I have not found any real ill effects from shooting without them BTW).

:)

Viggen,

EPP only allows "unmodified" .38/.357 revolvers. Reloads don't really matter. There is only one in the first string. The first string in EPP is 4 shots, reload, 6 shots (total of 10 shots) in 15 seconds at a 10cm circle at 7 meters. This is plenty of time to use the speedloader.

Bjorn