Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New P16 Limited

Hey everyone,

I'm a relatively new shooter to the sport. i've been doing it as a member for just over a year now. a few months ago i went and bought a new para sx1640 limited in sterling finish. i've added a silver dawson ice magwell, a stainless ed brown extended mag release, and i've gone with some black dawson base pads for my four mags. it sure is a sharp lookin gun. i'll try to get a pic posted, but i'm not at my home pc right now. anyway, we all know that looks don't mean anything when it comes to shooting. neither do parts, although the parts usually don't hurt anything. there are two main parts i'm looking to add to the pistol. one is a new trigger. the factory trigger in the gun is crap as far as i'm concerned. does anyone have any good suggestions for what type of trigger to look into? i've already had an oversized gun craft suggested as well as the svi interchangable trigger. any thoughts on either of these, or any other suggestions?

the other part i'm going to be looking into is a fiber optic front sight. any thoughts or suggestions on brands i should consider?

thanks a lot.

good shooting,

greg

My choice would be the SV trigger because you can change the insert to what feels and works best for you. Chuck at Shooters Connection and Dawson have the fiber optic front sights to fit the Para. The Para's are very accurate guns, I have owned several in the past and never had a problem with them other than the magazine release when they were plastic. I think they are metal now if not replace it before you have a problem with it.

Hey Jax,

Does SVI make a trigger for the para? I looked online and can't see anyone who carries them. The only aftermarket triggers I've found are EGW, Dlask, STI and Gun craft. If SVI does make a trigger for the Para, I would pick that up without a pause. I have it in my SVI open gun and my single stack kimber. nice and crisp. as for fiber optic sights, i've got dawson on all my iron sight guns.

Thanks for the info guys. I've already been in touch with SV and they say that the interchangeable trigger will work, but it has to be fitted, and the bow has to be 'adjusted' to fit the para. thats another reason i wanted to ask people on here, so get opinions on that.

here's a few pictures of my para.

post-6289-1150211862_thumb.jpg

post-6289-1150211873_thumb.jpg

post-6289-1150212303_thumb.jpg

Greg

Edited by Ravengbc

raven,

i assume your para has a firing pin block. i got rid of that by using one of these and getting a sear, disconnect and hammer from cylinder and slide. the trigger feels better but would be great if i fitted the dlask trigger better :blink: . not a good idea to diasable safety features but this is my interim limited gun till i get my STI together. you might want to ask a gunsmith to see what he thinks. me, i'm just a hack-fu. if it works but looks ugly, i don't care (within reason of course).

by the way, nice para, looks exactly like mine except i have a black slide.

Edited by yoshidaex

I checked with a friend of mine who is a gunsmith regarding the SV trigger. He said it is easy to fit it in the Para. That is a nice looking pistol. I currently have a Para 18/9 LDA with the same finish, no magwell or extended base pads. The LDA has a bobbed hammer. I use it for IDPA SSP. The DA trigger pull was excellent out of the box. I have polished the parts and it is unbelievable now.

thanks Jax. i'll test fit a standard STI trigger to see how hard it will be to install into a para. if it fits with little reshaping of the trigger bow, i'll hack fu the SVI trigger. wish me luck.

Edited by yoshidaex

raven,

i assume your para has a firing pin block. i got rid of that by using one of these and getting a sear, disconnect and hammer from cylinder and slide. the trigger feels better but would be great if i fitted the dlask trigger better :blink: . not a good idea to diasable safety features but this is my interim limited gun till i get my STI together. you might want to ask a gunsmith to see what he thinks. me, i'm just a hack-fu. if it works but looks ugly, i don't care (within reason of course).

by the way, nice para, looks exactly like mine except i have a black slide.

Yoshidaex,

Lose the Dlask trigger, I installed one in my p-16 ltd. 28oz. trigger pull went to 50oz. The titanium trigger bow flexes too much in widebody configuration, it rubs against the frame excessively. This trigger may work well in singlestack, pity it won't work in para, I liked the take-up and overtravel adjustability.

MWGDVC: the drag on the dlask isn't too bad. i just got a gun craft unit in but i noticed it doesn't have the take up tabs. as far as the trigger bow flexing, i compared the guncraft and dlask side by side and there doesn't seem to be much difference.

Jax: i'm not sure the SVI ITS unit will work in the para. i compared a stock para, para dlask and the SVI ITS for a S_I and the SVI trigger bow is longer. changing out the trigger shoe portion wouldn't be that hard but if you have the tri glide setup, the only way i can think of retaining the ball bearing in the rear of trigger bow feature is to cut and weld. i'll let you guys know how it goes.

The Dlask triggers have way more "adjustability" built in vis a vis the take up tab, but the trigger itself oxidizes too easily due to it being made of magnesium, starts looking crappy real quick unless you polish it out then clearcoat it. The Guncraft triggers are a b**ch to adjust the take up on, and sometimes the rear of the bow where the disconnector rides is not set at the proper angle to match the frame, another pain to correct. That said, the long flat version offers much customizing possibilities as to length of pull and lightening holes/cuts. I have both and when tuned properly both work very well allowing well down into the 1 to 1-1/2 lb trigger pull range.