Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nerves

FTDR

ok guys and gals here is my problem

i shoot during practice very well, splits in the low to mid teens, transitions in the low to mid twenties, all accurate, at club matches of course a bit slower with fairly winning results, but for some reason at major matches i choke on nerves, it really feels like i need a stiff shot of whiskey{no i do not}, but i get so riled with nerves for some reason i just can't relax, i have been shooting competition for around 18 months and currently made master, but i feel due to being nervous i am not able to compete as a master, if i could shoot as in practice i could walk away with most matches, so has any of you experienced this?, if so what the heck is it i can do?

I don't know if you've picked up Saul Kirsh's book "Thinking Practical Shooting" but it discusses how to deal with match nerves and stress.

One of the things he says is in practice, visualize that you're in a major match, from the stage decorations, to the shooters, to what they're saying in the background, everything to try to make it as real as possible.

Another thing he says is, when we shoot local matches and in practice there's nothing at stake, you're relxaed because of this. Get a bet going with another shooter, put something on the line to add that "tension" that way when you do that enough, you'll know how to deal with the butterflies and use the adrenaline for energy to help you move faster. You'll get used to that feeling and use it to your advantage.

Your score is always what it should be...

... because it is what you scored.

The champions score better because they harness the energy and focus it into performing better.

The shooting part is the easy, the rest is hard, especialy when you know you have to be near perfect to win when there is real competition around.

Practice is practice, no one shot to win, matches you get one shot to do it perfect. There is a difference, but at a certain point you have to treat everthing the same. Every shot you take is just as important.

If you've been shooting 18 months and think you could walk away with most matches, you might need to re-think where you really are. There are lots of shooters who've put in a lot more time and energy than you could have possibly done in 18 months. Not to slight you in anyway, but there are so many shooters that just have tons more skill and experience out there, so maybe think about the fact that they might have skills that you aren't even aware of yet, and keep pushing the limits. Just because you don't see them everyday, some will show up at the major matches and the results don't lie. They have the same amount of stress to deal with, and they know that it is each shot that will either break them or make them.

Experience each shot and forget about what everone else has done, or is doing, and you will perform to the level you are capable of at that moment in time. It is a never ending journey, because people are always raising the bar.

FTDR,

Your dillema is far too complex to be solved in a post on a forum, but we might as well try... :)

You are getting nervous at matches for several reasons:

1. You lack experience in the match environments that cause you stress. (local, major, whatever... inexperience equals fear manifested as stress)

2. Your self image has taken a beating in this match environment, causing you to become your own self-fulfilling prophecy. You are just waiting to choke, and you can't relax until you do. You're waiting to choke because in your self-image, you always do.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Begin to believe that there is no real difference between major matches and local matches, there are just targets that need to be shot.

2. The next time you enter a bigger match, begin to imagine every aspect of match day. getting there, signing in, looking at the stages, seeing the top shooters, etc. End this exercise with getting to the first stage and loading your mags. At some point you will begin to feel the stress that you speak of in your post. When you begin to feel this way, think about the stress-inducing event until you discover what it is that is causing you fear. You need to be really honest with yourself for this to work.

3. There's a good chance that you fear embarrasing yourself in front of your peers, especially as a new master. I have seen many great shooters crash and burn at big matches I can promise you that everyone is so engrossed in their own game that they don't really give it a second thought when they see another shooter struggle. In fact, most will completely ignore it to prevent it from influencing their own thoughts and actions.

So try to let go of the fear of embarassment.

4. Quit trying so hard and just shoot the targets. There is nothing you can do on match day to be any faster or better than you are when you wake up that morning. Just think about a clean accurate match in complete control all day, and at load and make ready imagine two pretty holes in the a-zone of every target.

5. Read "with winning in mind" by Lanny Bassham. Do this today. :)

SA

1. Begin to believe that there is no real difference between major matches and local matches, there are just targets that need to be shot.

This is PARAMOUNT toward relaxation and elimination of the "major match phobia".

4. Quit trying so hard and just shoot the targets. There is nothing you can do on match day to be any faster or better than you are when you wake up that morning. Just think about a clean accurate match in complete control all day, and at load and make ready imagine two pretty holes in the a-zone of every target

This is a MUST for any match, don't think "just do" and you will be fine. With you mind full of the "phobia" it can not "just do"

One of my favorites (from this board) is "Driving 300 miles to a major match doesn't make you shoot any better".

Edited by Crusher

That's some good stuff, Steve and Scott. FTDR posted this question on Burkett's forum, too - here was my response there:

Extremely common. Extremely normal. Almost anyone competing at a high level has been through "match nerves".... Smiley

This is a mind game thing - that amped up feeling you've got is your body's acknowlegement that you're about to do something cool that excites you. You have to learn how to embrace that feeling, harness it and direct it to the shooting - basically the best way is to get more experience at shooting major matches.

First off, if you're a "reader", see if you can locate a book called "Performing Your Best" by Tom Kubistant - it's out of print, but you can usually find it used through Amazon.com in paperback for around $5. Frickin' awesome mind game book, very readable and very usable. Next up, get Bassham's "With Winning In Mind". Those will start you off on a good mental game program...

That said - here's some thoughts for short term use... When you feel nervous before a big match, or stage, instead of saying to yourself "Wow, I feel so nervous, I hope I don't screw up" (or something like that...), say "Man, this is going to be so cool. I'm so excited to be shooting this match. I'm going to really focus here and shoot a great stage!!". Give yourself permission to feel nervous - it's a normal human response that says your alive and doing some cool stuff - and accept it. It's a good thing! Settle yourself with some deep, long, relaxed breaths (oxygen intake helps to metabolize adrenaline, BTW), say something to yourself like "I'm going to focus on ...." (where "....." might be "my dot", or "A-zones", or "seeing a good sight picture on every shot", or....) right before you shoot, and then just do it.

Edited by XRe

thanks guys

i did just register on matts forum looking for more opinions

loves2shoot no slight taken, however{lol}i have had a fair share of walking away with matches, i just get a bit bothered by my times, because i know i can do better, even when i win, i know what brians book says about measuring you performance, i agree with it, but when my ability of shooting greatly hampered by nerves it tends to drive a person, i know allot of shooters have put more time, and effort into it, and know where i sit in comparison, i know over time i will progressively get better, it just sucks when i know my match times are no where near my practice times, i do know this is common and acceptable, but there are also acceptable limits on the time you loose in a match, i just find the nerves make me loose an unacceptable amount of time

thanks guys

i did just register on matts forum looking for more opinions

loves2shoot no slight taken, however{lol}i have had a fair share of walking away with matches, i just get a bit bothered by my times, because i know i can do better, even when i win, i know what brians book says about measuring you performance, i agree with it, but when my ability of shooting greatly hampered by nerves it tends to drive a person, i know allot of shooters have put more time, and effort into it, and know where i sit in comparison, i know over time i will progressively get better, it just sucks when i know my match times are no where near my practice times, i do know this is common and acceptable, but there are also acceptable limits on the time you loose in a match, i just find the nerves make me loose an unacceptable amount of time

I wasn't going to post this earlier but it helped me realize something about competitions.

Before my first Major Match which was Florida State, I emailed Matt and asked him the very same question you posted. About ten minutes later he called my cell phone (I've bought his DVD's and spoke with him briefly in the past) which surprised me, and asked "what in the world I was so nervous about?" I said "I want to do good and shoot as well as I do at my local matches" he said "If you lose, what do you lose? Nothings going to happen, You're not shooting for a lot of money, or a car, most of us shoot this sport for the fun of it, few shoot for the sponsors, those guys have something to be concerned about. Just shoot, have fun, and let subconscious from your training and practice take over and let you win.". I did, won Hi "C" in Limited after only 3 months of shooting USPSA.

Coming to the realization that I'm shooting for the love of the game and not thinking of anything negative (consciously we can only think of one thing at a time, subconsciously we can think of many things at the same time) like mikes, hitting no shoots, etc. has really helped me contain my overall match stress.

Good luck!

Any time I lose is unacceptable to me :) The reason experience counts is that you know what needs to be done, thus less nerves, if you've seen it, done it, it's no big deal, and easier to focus on the shooting.

I'm tough on myself, but when I focus on the shooting, the times come much closer. Trust yourself and make good shots in practice. Simple, but not easy. Best of luck :)

I agree with L2S.

The more Majors I shoot ........... the less nervous I am. 10 stages at a Sectional ? 12 stages at an Area ? Just like shooting 2 club matches back-to-back.

I used to think about all 12 stages as soon as I arrived to the match. And while I do like to look them all over prior to starting the first one, I realize I can only shoot 1 at a time, so why worry about more than 1 at a time. Take that 1 step further, and I know that I can only shoot 1 target at a time.

1 shot, 1 target, 1 stage at a time. Splice them all together, and before you know it you've shot the whole match clean! B)

You should welcome your nerves. They mean that you're jacked up and capable of a top level performance. How many world records are set in practice vs at the Olympics??

Learn to harness those nerves and accept the engergy they bring to your game.

And, as other wise sage's have said, read Lanny's book. :)

Just thought I'd chime in here, without having read Bassham's or Kirsch's books. Apparently Saul says that you should simulate a big match when shooting a club match (by making a bet or something). I kind of do the opposite: I try to get as comfortable at a big match as I do in a club match. I'm not thinking it's a big match, just that they're all just matches, in this one I just get to shoot more stages. It has worked for me.

THe More the Match Means to you the Greater the Chance of Choking... Big Match... Little Match, it a matter of Preception. Its the Same. Want to win more at the Prize table or the Cool trophy. I just wnat to come in Thrid on every stage.? i personally am way more relaxed at a big match than a club match I know that iam not going to win A Class so no pressure. Maybe at a local club match I might have a chance. Theres that perception thing again.