Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Recoil Master

alellis

Guys.

When I shoot my edge using major .40 loads the brass goes about 12 feet.

When my friend shoots the same load in his executive the brass just tumbles out at his feet and the gun seems to recoil very little.

The difference I was told is because his gun is fitted with a recoil master.

So off I go and purchase a recoil master.

Alas it does not have the same effect in my gun.

The brass goes just about as far and recoil is only marginally if any less.

What do I need to do.

al

The flight of your spent brass is going to be affected by more than just your recoil system. The make and model of both your ejector and extractor, plus how they are "tuned", are going to impact this more than the recoil system.

Likewise, recoil is a VERY subjective thing. Slide weight, differences in how you and your friend grip the gun, etc., will affect recoil, even with the same guide rod / recoil spring configuration.

I'll leave the "What do I need to do" to others on the forum who are smarter than me (this is a VERY large population).

Edited by davidball

The flight of your spent brass is going to be affected by more than just your recoil system. The make and model of both your ejector and extractor, plus how they are "tuned", are going to impact this more than the recoil system.

Likewise, recoil is a VERY subjective thing. Slide weight, differences in how you and your friend grip the gun, etc., will affect recoil, even with the same guide rod / recoil spring configuration.

I'll leave the "What do I need to do" to others on the forum who are smarter than me (this is a VERY large population).

Thanks David.

We can discount the different grip aspect because the difference is there when I use both guns.

And yes the flight of the brass is not important but i was pointing it out as a difference in the two guns and maybe a clue as to what is going on.

The important point is the recoil. Mine bucks unless I have a real good grip and his just raises the front sight out of the notch and settles back. It seams as if the slide just leisurly slides back and then forward again. There even appears to be a slight hesitation on the way back.

His appears much easier to shoot.

I won't get to the range again till saturday but I intend to do some experimenting.

Try his recoilmaster in my gun, change springs around etc.

al

alellis,

While you are comparing, make sure you compare the mainsprings too. Having a heavy mainspring (say 22#) can make a gun feel as if it has a much heavier recoil spring. The mainspring requires much more energy to compress and the gun stays locked up longer. This can lead to less recoil available to cycle the slide.

Good luck

If your gun is a factory edge then it should have had a reciolmaster in it? The executive is just a fancy edge.

Since it didn't have a recoilmaster in it I would guess that you gun was assembled or has been modified with parts from its original form and what davidball said is probably true.

Neal in AZ