Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Finger Part 2

Joe D

Well after making a total fool of myself at the Southern Regional match yesterday I have decided to have the operation. I wound up shooting the last five stages with my weak hand. I had no grip with my right hand. Thought I was going to drop the gun a couple of times. I thought exercising my hand with a tennis ball would help. Turns out it made it worse. Looks like it will take 6-8 weeks to heal after the operation.

The really weird thing is this is the same finger I got stuck in a bowling ball 25 yrs. ago. It never felt exactly right after that. Must have damaged that tendon back then.

Heck, I may just strap on a left handed holster and get plenty of weak hand practice. Can I drop down from Master to Marksman if I am using my left hand?

Hi Joe D!

Your scoring sure will make it back to Marksman (LOL). I think there are provisions for dropping classifications for permanent changes. I'm not sure if this fits or not, since you'll be back up and running in a year or so. If it was me, I'd not worry about the re-classification thing unless it looks like you're "never going to be the same" after the surgery & recovery.

Hope you heal up fast.

-Koski

Joe, I can partially relate as I have had a crushing injury to my gun hand and cant properly grip my weapons right now. I had to qualify with my duty gun with my left hand and recently shot a match with my left hand as well, relearning how to reload a Revo with my left as well..... :blink: It kinda sucked as I was not able to shoot to my ability but I still had fun, which is why I shoot! Do what you have to do to get back what you can, and still shoot for fun with your weak hand. You will be surprised what you can do! Hang in there and do what your Doc says so you can heal quickly!

DougC

Thanks Mark. Got it cut today. Doc says 4-6 weeks recovery. My shooting has really gone down over the last year. Now maybe I can grip the gun again.

Get well Joe!