Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy Way To Install A Sear Spring?

Cuz

Ok, I give up. I need advice. I've got an SVI Limited gun and I'm trying to work thru some mag problems that keep sticking. During this testing I've had to remove the sear spring for a number of reasons. Each time it takes forever to get the damn thing back in. What am I doing wrong? SVI just sent me a new one to try, but it's taken me 30 minutes and I still can't seem to get the stupid part installed. What am I missing? The slide is off, with frame upside down, but everytime the middle "finger" keeps going in front of the trigger bow instead of behind it. When I stick a screwdriver thru the mag well to push the finger behind while inserting it then the taller outside finger gets stuck behind the grip safety and won't budge. I did get it installed twice before, but don't remember which of the 100 methods I tried worked. What gives??? I know it has to be easier than this.

-Cuz.

Remove the safety and grip safety. Pull the mainspring housing out. Place the spring where it's supposed to be, insuring that the hammer strut is on top of it, of course. Hold it in place with one hand. With the other hand, slide the mainspring housing in part way - this will hold the sear spring in place. Re-install the grip safety and then the safety. Push the mainspring housing into place, insuring that that hammer strut sits properly on top of the mainspring cap.

Sounds like you're trying to fit things together in a real tricky order and making it a lot harder on yourself :)

Remove the safety and grip safety. Pull the mainspring housing out. Place the spring where it's supposed to be, insuring that the hammer strut is on top of it, of course. Hold it in place with one hand. With the other hand, slide the mainspring housing in part way - this will hold the sear spring in place. Re-install the grip safety and then the safety. Push the mainspring housing into place, insuring that that hammer strut sits properly on top of the mainspring cap.

Sounds like you're trying to fit things together in a real tricky order and making it a lot harder on yourself :)

Ok, I didn't know I was supposed to be removing the safety and grip safety. I did get it in after another half-hour of messing with it. I think I'll try your method next time.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Ok, I didn't know I was supposed to be removing the safety and grip safety. I did get it in after another half-hour of messing with it. I think I'll try your method next time.

No wonder it took so long, normally the sear spring (heck the whole gun) can be dismatled in under a minute and put back just as fast (with the exception of the grip removal from the fram that takes about 2 minutes if that)

As a bit of heresy, the spring can actually be removed and replaced without even taking the slide off the gun. You apply thumb pressure on the MS housing and then force the pin out and let it slide off the frame. Lift the grip safety a bit and you can sneak the spring out. You can reassemble in a similar fashion except, normally you have to have the grip safety "up" a bit as the spring is situated into place and the MS housing is slid up just enough to hold the spring from moving. Then, lower the grip safety and slide the MS housing all the way and drive the pin in.

As to why anybody would master this skill?

To fine tune the spring by bending it to balance the forces on the disconnector and sear, and get the pull weight to a specific value. It takes a lot of spring tweaking and you can spend a lot of time at it if you take half the gun apart each time....

YMMV

Edited by bountyhunter