Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40s&w Detonation Pics

I had a similar detonation while clearing a jam. I received 16 stiches for my error. I had a small piece of case stuck in my finger but not as large as GeorgeInNePa had. I now grab the slide at the front sarrations.

Lesson learned.

• 2 months later...

Well.... I know this is an older string, but I couldn't resist adding to it. A week ago, I had some of my agents out to the range and ran them through a few stages with the assistance of three USPSA RO's. It was great training for them.

Anyway, one of the agents went to unload, cupped the ejection port, and BANG. As soon as it happened, I knew what it was, because I read this string. Sure enough, same type of injuries, same shell casing explosion, etc. One of the RO's found the primer (it blew out of the casing) and so I did some picture taking. Exact match to the ejector. I thought this was a rare occurance, but after re-reading this string and seeing it up close and personal (I was standing over him and watching when he unloaded), I'm beginning to think this isn't that rare.

I am now breaking myself and the rest of my agents of the habit of cupping the ejection port when unloading.

I'm thinking about writing an article about this. Has anyone heard of the primer striking the ejector with NO obstruction to the ejection port? Has anyone heard of a red-dot sight mount causing the same out-of-battery detonation? How would you recommend racking the slide to unload? I can think of half a dozen ways to do it, but which one is the safest?

Oh ya, x-ray found a piece of brass in his middle finger that we missed while cleaning out the wounds at the range. It was small and pretty deep. If this does ever happen to you, get an x-ray of your hands sooner than later, and also ask for antibiotics.

Primer_Ejector_slide2.ppt

post-7549-1156885211.jpg

Edited by SA Friday

Well.... I know this is an older string, but I couldn't resist adding to it. A week ago, I had some of my agents out to the range and ran them through a few stages with the assistance of three USPSA RO's. It was great training for them.

Anyway, one of the agents went to unload, cupped the ejection port, and BANG. As soon as it happened, I knew what it was, because I read this string. Sure enough, same type of injuries, same shell casing explosion, etc. One of the RO's found the primer (it blew out of the casing) and so I did some picture taking. Exact match to the ejector. I thought this was a rare occurance, but after re-reading this string and seeing it up close and personal (I was standing over him and watching when he unloaded), I'm beginning to think this isn't that rare.

I am now breaking myself and the rest of my agents of the habit of cupping the ejection port when unloading.

I'm thinking about writing an article about this. Has anyone heard of the primer striking the ejector with NO obstruction to the ejection port? Has anyone heard of a red-dot sight mount causing the same out-of-battery detonation? How would you recommend racking the slide to unload? I can think of half a dozen ways to do it, but which one is the safest?

Oh ya, x-ray found a piece of brass in his middle finger that we missed while cleaning out the wounds at the range. It was small and pretty deep. If this does ever happen to you, get an x-ray of your hands sooner than later, and also ask for antibiotics.

Ouch.

The easiest and safest way to rack the slide is with a slide racker, I prefer the Sidewinder from Shooters Connection myself. ;)

Seriously, the "old school" slingshot method is probably the best. Weakside thumb and forefinger on the rear cocking serrations.

NAAAA, not hut bad at all. Scared the hell out of him. He said, "18 years as a cop and I f#$%ing shot myself. I'll never hear the end of it." :lol:

He was at work the next day.

There's been a lot of "discharge" jokes though....

Racking out live rounds

What I HATE to see: The rack flip catch! I am sorely tempted to DQ anyone that does it for USGH.

My prefered method is to either rack from the rear as George said, or the under the gun from the front.

NEVER grab a gun over the top or in any manner that covers any hole (that would be the round hole at the front end where the bullet normally exits, OR the ejection port, for the reasons so well illustrarted by some of trhe pics in this thread) Reaching over a gun it is just too easy to get your hand in front. That is a BAD THING. Grabbing from the rear OR from underneath is safest.

Jim