Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unhappy With Clays

1911 rookie

Hi,

I have been looking for a minor load for my .45 revolver to shoot in ICORE. My latest load is 4.0gr Clays under a Berrys 185gr HBRN (hollow base RN). It shoots really well and is low power (131 PF) but it's DIRTY. It actually coats the front of they cylinder and barrel enough to make it hard to open and there is some unburnt powder but not enough to cause problems yet. It is however, a real dream to shoot, lots of "does that make power factor?" comments.

For the last 5 years, my entire reloading carer, i had been using Bullseye and never had any problems. Bullseye didn't seem to gunk up as much. Do i go back to Bullseye or try something else? anybody have another idea for my dream powder?

Thanks,

Jason

The 185gr HBRN from Berrys is a 230 grain profile with 45 grain hole in the bottom of it. Good because it's light and has the bearing surface of a 230, bad because it adds a 45gr hole to the case volume. I really like it though, the 230s at minor were not nice. This load is accurate out to 50 yards.

Also, cleaning my gun more often is not an option unless you are offering to clean it for me, I hate cleaning guns and barely have enough time to shoot and load. I haven't cleaned my 1911s in years.

I have switched from Clays to American Select for my major loads because I get less smoke with lead loads than Clays or WST. I have never tried it with reduced loads or with any of the Berry's bullets.

Bullseye still works for my .45 revolvers. I'm not against trying different powders. Ive just never come up with a good enough reason to. I just plain HATE working up new loads. I even loaded up a couple thousand minor PF loads using Bullseye for the old IDPA PF. Worked fine.