Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When you (the target audience) of match reports read reports from places like www.maxmichel.com www.jakedivita.com and www.stevemoneypenny.com what do you want to see/hear about the match?

Pictures of stages? In deapth descriptipns, high and low points of the match. travel, places to stay, and our impressions. what do you feel most important and least? people we met? how we shot ?

also how long should a match report be. 1 page 2 pages.. i can be too long winded at times.

I really want to give people that can't afford to go or those who just love to live vicariously (because i still am one of those to some matches) something that they will like. If i'm going to do something I might as well do it right.

I decided to post this to get as much response as possible i think i picked the only forum it would fit in but if it would be better elsewhere please advise.

Thanks!

Steve

Pics and Vids baby...

Pics and Vids

Oh.. and lots of trash talking the other shooters.

And if you get around to it, as much detailed information about the stages and tactics that you chose on them is always interesting.

Must have videos. There's too much information to read everything on the web, so shorter descriptions would be better. Maybe highlight a couple of tricky things you ran into or something.

The standard article that you see regarding a match makes it really, really hard to know what happened. Writing a few paragraphs about who won is meaningless unless the reader knows the shooters or knows of them. Video and pics are great. Stage diagrams are very helpful. Descriptions of the tactics used are great, including screwups or tactics that didn't work. The few articles that explain how and when a match was won or lost are exemplary.

Tell a story! Paint a picture!

Steve,

Try to highlight the challenges presented by the different stages, include photos.

Discuss the shooting solutions provided by the shooters of various skill levels. This includes the crash and burns for the reading pleasure of the audience.

Provide an overall impression of the match, ROs, organization, range, awards, ie. help me to decide if I may want to attend the next match hosted by this range.

Definitely agree with some of the other comments; I like to see what some of the top level shooters do with some vids but I also want to know why I'd want to go shoot that match or that club's matches.

Being relatively new (just my second year) I picked and chose the matches I'm hitting this year based on comments I've read or gotten first hand from other shooters. Most of us can only make it to a limited number of bigger matches if any each year. I for one appreciate anything that might point me in the direction of a can't miss match.

Awesome responses folks keep them coming!

I am going to the First Great Lakes Regional IDPA match this weekend So I hope to be able to get some good pics and video from there and play a little bit with my writing style on the match report implementing some of these great ideas.

As a match administrator, I want to know what we did right & what went wrong. For example, last year several reports listed the SC Section match as being overly technical with too many tight shots. We tried to fix that this year, and apparently went overboard (nearly every report this year complained about too many 'wide open' targets). This tells me I need a better mix next year.

Often the comments on other areas of this forum are universally flattering & 'off forum' match reports give me a better idea of what we need to work on.

I also get great ideas from other matches, both what to do & what not to do.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico