Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR for 3 Gun

9supercomp

I have been thinking about getting into IPSC 3 gun  matches (open class) and have been looking at  Les Baer, JP, and Bushmaster, with a scope like a Leupold 1.5-5x and also a Aimpoint. Do you know of something better to use or will this setup do ok.

Yes it will work. Bushnell makes a 4200 elite in 1.5x6. The Bushmaster is the least expensive. The JP's are sweet. Les Baer sems to be having some Customer service issues(read some of the other posts). The other option is to call George at EGW and have him build you an AR.

9super-

Excellent choice!  You will like it.

------------------------

Kelly / Chris,

What's the word on the Bushmaster flat tops (Vmatch is it?) w/ the free-floated barrels?  Aside from the obvious trigger job, is it good enough out of the box?  What's people's take on the chrome-lined barrels? Good/Bad/Neutral?

By the way, if anybody lives in the Portland, OR area, Keith's is selling the BM Flat top's for $819 out the door.  No fair buying mine though... :)

Thanks,

Eric

With a chrome lined bore you more than likely won't get the accuracey you will with non lined. (before I get flamed with "my barrel shoot 1/8 groups at 500 yds) Thats the general rule. For the type of shooting we do it probably wouldn't hurt if you did use a C-L-Bore,BUT I prefer to use the most accurate I can (IE everything helps)

Steve

Chromelined barrels have a reputation for more durability and longer life but less accuracy.   That has been my limited experience as well.  I had a chromelined barrel that lasted quite some time.  It shot well enough but not great.  A chrome application to a bore is never "even" and it adds another variable.

Congrats on the Bushmaster.  That should be more than adequate but  I can't say if it's adequate b/c I've never shot it.  If your rifle shoots 1 MOA or even 2 MOA you should be good to go.  Get a trigger though!