Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dads/moms-- Light 9mm Loads4kids

LukeDuke

Hi Folks,

My son is 9. And he's small for his age. He loves the sport, and he's pretty good with his little Walther P22. He wants to compete next year as a junior. I told him he can't until he can handle his G17. His hands are just not strong enough to safely handle factory 9mm loads in that gun for more than 10-20 shots. So...

I'll be working up a powder puff load for him. I don't care about making minor at this point. I just want him to be able to practice w/ his Glock. I've already put in a stainless guide rod with a lighter recoil spring, and I think it will cycle fine with light loads. If anyone has any load data that you're willing to share, I'd love to see it!

--

Luke

90 grain bullets, made for the 380, and Clays made some extremely light loads for me. I haven't shot them through my Glocks but I got a Beretta 92 and a Taurus 99 functioning with very light springs. This was a couple years ago, I will try to dig up my notes and let you know if I find them.

90 grain bullets, made for the 380, and Clays made some extremely light loads for me. I haven't shot them through my Glocks but I got a Beretta 92 and a Taurus 99 functioning with very light springs. This was a couple years ago, I will try to dig up my notes and let you know if I find them.

Great. I'll look forward to your numbers if you find them. Is that Universal Clays, or just Clays?

using powder puff loads in a glock may require you to use lighter recoil and striker springs. while developing some loads using 147 grn bullets in a glock 34, the low powder weight loads failed to cycle the slide properly. at that point i decided when i find a load that cycles the gun properly and makes power factor that it would be good enough for me. i don't like the thought of having to fool around with spring weights in a glock, let alone cleaning it (haven't cleaned it for about 5000 rounds) :P

using powder puff loads in a glock may require you to use lighter recoil and striker springs. while developing some loads using 147 grn bullets in a glock 34, the low powder weight loads failed to cycle the slide properly. at that point i decided when i find a load that cycles the gun properly and makes power factor that it would be good enough for me. i don't like the thought of having to fool around with spring weights in a glock, let alone cleaning it (haven't cleaned it for about 5000 rounds) :P

Already went to a lighter recoil spring, but didn't think about a striker spring. Hmmm, I better look into that. 5000 rounds without cleaning??? Impressive!!! :D If I could get to 1000 rounds in my limited gun without cleaning, I'd be ecstatic :(

I know many have tweaked their Glocks with light springs and such but I could never get mine to run solid that way.

The problem will be light loads will not cycle well or have enough to knock down poppers.

Also younger shooters tend to have weaker wrists to add the the functioning problems even more.

I would suggest working with him so he can learn to use factory ammo safely. Maybe some weight training, grip and stance training to learn to let the arms and chest take the impact of the recoil. He will gain more from that then a real powder puff load.

Regular Clays, not Universal.

If you want to go really light with the loads you will need to lighten the striker spring, recoil spring, and the striker itself. All of these things are available commercially.

You may want to put a call in to Matt at Custom Glock Racing and see what he knows about what you want to do. He could put together a custom spring set for you at the least.

A couple of things to consider:

1) Is the weight of the gun thats the problem or the recoil impulse? If it is the recoil that bothers him, you might consider getting him a all metal gun to start. They absorb recoil better then the plastic guns. There are a few single stack 9's around so they should fit his hands. Or maybe even something like a Baby Eagle which is very friendly to small hands.

2) Have you considered a revolver to get him started? You could load .38's (or even 9's) as low as you would like and not worry about the gun functioning. Plus only having 6 rounds will teach him to get his A's.

I know neither of these are answers to questions you have asked, just alternatives. If he is attached to thet G17, then finding that soft load is the way to go. Personally I would check to see if you can get one of the 147gr loads soft enough for him. 3gr of Titegroup should make for a soft load, if subminor. I used to shoot 3.3gr of TG under 147's and I found the load a bit too soft and a bit slow to cycle and I went to 124's. I'm guessing that soft 147's will also have a better chance of working the gun.

You might just have to buy 100 bullets of every bullet weight out there and see what he likes. For the heavy bullets, use a fast powder like TG or N320 which make for soft loads. Clays may work too, though I wouldn't try to make minor with it though it would make for a soft load subminor.

The options I've seen work well with children that age is a single stack 9mm open gun or revolver.

Open - You can tune those to work with 105- 110 pf ammo. And it has a nice slim grip.

Revolver - low pf as long as it can push the bullet out the barrel.

Or if you are set on the glock ditto what vlad said on the near minor 147/titegroup load.

I run my 34 with 130 pf with 147/3.2 titegroup. 13# recoil spring and reduced power striker spring and it runs great.

Hope that helps.