Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded Mag On Rifle In Safety Area

open17

In pistol, it is legal to have a loaded mag on your belt in a safety area, but is is a DQ

to handle it, or ammo/dummy rounds etc. 10.5.12

What about the following situations?

You uncase your rifle in a safety area for some reason. There is a fully loaded

mag on the rifle--redi-mag, RASE buttstock, or other device. DQ?

Same thing, but a shotgun. rounds in the side-saddle, 2 pack, speedfeed stock, whatever. Rounds are on the gun. DQ?

Bill

According to my read of the USPSA version of the rifle & shotgun rules, this is legal, unless you handle the magazines or ammunition.

Troy

Thanks Troy. That was my read on it also. Haven't actually seen the situation come up yet, but I just put a RASE buttstock on my AR and it got me thinking.

Bill

According to my read of the USPSA version of the rifle & shotgun rules, this is legal, unless you handle the magazines or ammunition.

Troy

Thanks Troy. That was my read on it also. Haven't actually seen the situation come up yet, but I just put a RASE buttstock on my AR and it got me thinking.

Bill

Have wondered that myself. Particularly the sidesaddle on a shotgun. Anxious to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

Troy, can you run that one up the flag pole to NROI for us for an official ruling?

At every match I have been to I see shotguns with ammo in the side saddles being uncased in the safe area. Haven't seen the same thing with a redi-mag yet but that is probably because redi-mags aren't that popular around here.

The corollary question is: What about stuffing the side saddles on a shotgun before the LAMR. Is doing this with the gun in an open case or on a rack allowed? Obviously can't do this in the safety area but we also aren't to be handling firearms outside of the safety area per US 5.2 of the Shotgun rules.

Troy, can you run that one up the flag pole to NROI for us for an official ruling?

At every match I have been to I see shotguns with ammo in the side saddles being uncased in the safe area. Haven't seen the same thing with a redi-mag yet but that is probably because redi-mags aren't that popular around here.

The corollary question is: What about stuffing the side saddles on a shotgun before the LAMR. Is doing this with the gun in an open case or on a rack allowed? Obviously can't do this in the safety area but we also aren't to be handling firearms outside of the safety area per US 5.2 of the Shotgun rules.

Our practice is to set up a loading area. The shooters pre-load all but the tube. At larger matches where we have dedicated staff available, we will also load the tube, only the chamber is left empty, with a closed bolt. Of course this is done under RO supervision. Otherwise you have quite a bottleneck at the start position while someone not only stokes the tube, but fills the carriers on their shotgun.

Jim Norman

The other situation I can see is an SU 16 with loaded 10 or 20 round mag(s) in the buttstock. Person uncases and finds a loaded mag in there but does not handle it, therefore is it ok. Once out of the safety area, handle all you like but do not load. My range prohibits ammo in the safety area period, so locally it might be an issue.

Vince

10.5.12 Handling live or dummy ammunition (including practice or training rounds, snap caps and empty cases), loaded magazines or

loaded speed loading devices in a Safety Area, or failing to comply

with Rule 2.4.1.

The rule addresses the "Handling" of ammunition, dummy ammunition, or loaded ammunition feeding devices. It doesn't state that those items can't be located in the Safe Area. Is it a good idea to have it in the Safe Area? Opinions vary. Is it a D.Q. offense? No