Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Annual Combat Rifle Championship.

Two days, 9 stages, food, prizes, fun, and guns. This first year has gone by in a blur and ACTS has grown by leaps and bounds. To celebrate our first year we are planning a two day shooting event.

We will shoot 9 courses of fire over the weekend. Centerline of Calhoun County (our host range) will serve a banquet dinner on Saturday night to shooters and guests.

After the shooting is all wrapped up on Sunday afternoon, the 2006 ACTS champion will be crowned and prizes awarded. Prizes will include rifles, ammunition and gear.

We will have pregistration just as we did for the inaugural match last year. Registration is limited to the first 60 shooters.

We will post more details as they become available. Camping sites will be available at the range, and there are plenty of hotels and motels nearby

Dates for Gunstock are July 8 and 9

American Confederation of Tactical Shooters

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give more info. Like class, round count, any 308 class and so on. My brother lives in Benton Harbor sound like a good excuse to go see him. :D

Can you give more info. Like class, round count, any 308 class and so on. My brother lives in Benton Harbor sound like a good excuse to go see him. :D

You can find the complete rule book here: http://www.actshooters.com/rules.html

We do have quite a few shooters who shoot 308. The rifles are not classed by caliber, rather they are classed by configuration.

Round count for this event will probably be somewhere in the 250-300 range. I don't have all 9 of the courses written up just yet.

If you check out our website, you will find a discussion forum similar to this one. Lots of info there on the sport, as well as photos of each match in the results section...

Would the rifle pictured below be legal in any Division at this match?

post-749-1147885931_thumb.jpg

That would depend on the magnification of your ACOG. If it is 4x or less, you will be in the Enhanced division. If it is 4.1x or greater, you will be in the Open division...

Either way, your rifle is good to go for ACTS. We don't have any restrictions on muzzle brakes or compensators for rifles. Compensators and brakes are a no-no for sidearms.

George and Tony,

I believe that the rifle George posted a pic of has more than one optical sight: The scope on top and the dot sight on the handgaurd. Two optics or any optic sight over 4x makes it Open. Pull the dot from the handgaurd and the scope is 4x or less, and it is Enhanced.

If someone were to show up with that rifle, I would feel seriously outgunned. George, you really are not going to travel to Michigan from CA for our match, are you?

Billski

Prizes will be distributed via drawing. All prizes will be laid out on a table. The overall match winner will get first pick pf prizes on the table. Names will be drawn from a hat to determine the order of trips to the table for the remaining prizes.

Sono,

Rifles are classed without regard to caliber. Summarizing the classes: Service is iron sighted semi-auto with a mag of atleast 8 rounds; Enhanced is one optical sight of 4x or less semi-auto of atleast 8 rounds; Open is a semi-auto with more than one optic or over 4x; Military Surplus is milsurp semiautos or bolt guns on the BATFE Curio and Relics list. All of these folks shoot normally two shots per target, and may have mandatory handgun transitions, or back up the rifle with the sidearm as they see fit. Safe transitions while retaining the rifle are required.

Precision Rifle takes one head shot per target and engages targets under 25 yards with the sidearm.

And you get big "cool" points for shooting anything above 5.56x45 or 7.62x39, so bring the .30. Hell, I want to see someone shoot a Garand, and I will supply the rifle! Me? Naw, I am a recoil wimp and shoot an 18" brake equipped AR15 with a 1.5-5x scope, which makes me OPEN.

I expect that Tony will present some stages that use all of the 100 yards we have for both long shots and for covering ground while engaging a series of targets. I am expecting that we will have to move and shoot, use cover, reload on the clock, and there will be some tight shots both for hard cover and for no-shoots. I also expect to see some frangible targets, perhaps activating another target. We shall see what the MD and friends pull off.

Billski

I believe that the rifle George posted a pic of has more than one optical sight: The scope on top and the dot sight on the handgaurd. Two optics or any optic sight over 4x makes it Open. Pull the dot from the handgaurd and the scope is 4x or less, and it is Enhanced.

JP TA-01, fixed 4x. yes, red dot on handguard.

George, you really are not going to travel to Michigan from CA for our match, are you?

Have rifle, will travel :-)

If someone were to show up with that rifle, I would feel seriously outgunned

You are only outgunned if you think you are and I don't think you are if you don't think you are ;-)

I figured Open would be where that rifle would get me slotted, which is fine by me, just wanted to know should I decide to go.

All of these folks shoot normally two shots per target, and may have mandatory handgun transitions, or back up the rifle with the sidearm as they see fit

Does this mean that a handgun in a suitable holster is required in addition to a rifle for this match? If yes, would a standard IPSC Open pistol be appropriate with an Open rifle?

Use of Cover -- If cover is available to the shooter, he/she must use it if practical to the solution of the stage. A shooter is considered to be using cover if 50% or more of the shooter's "Zero Zone" is behind cover and not visible to the most threatening target. (A Shooter's head counts at 30% of his Zero Zone

sounds like IDPA

Scoring is done on a "total time" basis.

If this is the scoring method, then you better be good with your rifle

George, your rifle does have that whole "JP Serious Race Rifle" look. Also, I look forward to meeting you.

www.actshooters.com has the rule book, match photos (in "Match Results") and a forum

Yes, it is more like IDPA than USPSA. ACTS uses the IDPA target, but scores a full second added to the time for each point dropped.

Cover usage is similar to IDPA. So is the Failure to Neutralize. Big penalty for Fail to Engage.

No penalty for leaving a mag on the ground with ammo in it.

No pure race guns or gear with the exception of the Open rifle. Since pistol rules are pretty minimal, run what you want as long as it is not an Open gun. That means bring a Limited or Production class USPSA or any IDPA legal pistol. Holster has to be a working style that covers the trigger and a bunch of the rest of the gun, not a race holster. Think legal for IDPA or USPSA Production/Single Stack. Don't sweat the pistol choice much unless you shoot a bolt gun, in which case, the pistol will see a bunch of work (all targets under 25 yards are handgun targets for Precision Rifle).

Among the regulars, you will see a lot 16" collapsable stock AR carbines, single point slings, MOLLE vests, and the like. We have also seen FAL/LAR's, an M1A, an H&K 91, etc. A fair amount of operator or police entry type gear is present too.

When I showed up for the February match (cold and it snowed) in my snowboarding pants and jacket, my all black 18" flattop AR (Miculek brake, 1.5-5X Simmons, aluminum float tube forend, and M1907 leather sling), a pistol belt with a GI belt pouch for 20's and another for 30's, well, I stood out a bit. They proved to be a good bunch of folks, so I keep going back.

Billski

Yes, sorry, George, I didn't notice the 2nd optic. That would put your rifle in the open division.

As for the sidearm, an open IPSC pistol would probably not be legal. Nor would an open IPSC holster.

As for the brake on your rifle, there are no rules prohibiting the one you have, but to be honest, it doesn't follow the spirit of ACTS. That being said, you wouldn't be turned away if you brought it.

Just because you're shooting an Open rifle, does not mean that you will have an advantage. The courses of fire often favor one division, but it is never the same division all the time. With 4 courses of fire at our regular matches, each course tends to favor a different division.

If you are shooting in the open division, you are only competing against other shooters in the open division.

With regard to the July match, the prize distribution has been changed a bit...

The top shooters in each division will be the first drawn for trips to the prize table, followed by the other shooters. Regardless of where you finish, you still stand a good chance of coming away with a decent prize. We are adding prizes to the table almost every day. At the moment, there is only one firearm, but we are working on getting at least one more...

Grrrrrrrr, Why can't we have 3gun matches that either follow the established rules of the multi-gun association, or USPSA? After the cluster flop of CMMG(which still has not posted the stage results). New matches where it cost a lot in travel expenses to attend make me nervous.

I really appreciate the hard work and dedication clubs have to puttting on a 3gun match it just just would be nice to have to practice for only one or two sets of rules. With all that said I will probably be there at the match with everybody else adapting to the game at hand.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WILLINGNESS TO HOST A MATCH.

Grrrrrrrr, Why can't we have 3gun matches that either follow the established rules of the multi-gun association, or USPSA

I hear ya' there.

Set of 3 USPSA & IMG legal Open guns = 6 grand+

Metric shjtload of spare parts & accessories for said guns = 4 grand+

Matches that won't fit the gear I own = Priceless!

Probably gonna' pass this one up, but I do appreciate the hard work putting on any match takes.

Thanks,

Well, first of all, ACTS isn't 3-gun. I don't know why this thread was moved here. I originally posted it in the "Other Shooting Sports" forum.

ACTS is a completly different animal from 3 gun. Hell, we don't even use three guns.

ACTS is a rifle sport. The pistols are secondary weapons used only as a back up if your rifle $hits the bed.

I don't know why this thread was moved here. I originally posted it in the "Other Shooting Sports" forum

Because it is a practical rifle match and all practical rifle/shotgun matches are posted in this forum. "Other Shooting Sports" would be for The Masters, Bianchi Cup, Steel Challenge type shooting, etc... (as it says there).

Added 9:03 PM (PST)

Tony, I am having a tad of fun by making the joke, but no offense is intended, I always rail against specialty rules that exclude existing gear because the truth is they really are a PITA.

That said, I do applaud your effort in putting on a match that will allow many different rifle types to compete alongside each other. I am trying to do something similar for the 2007 BARC match (Bay Area Rifle Championship) that I run out here in California.

Next year, I am going to open the match to Cowboy shooters and their lever action rifles, bolt action shooters and even Garand shooters by fitting them all into the existing divisions through a few simple extensions of the existing rules.

Here is the info page for the recent 2006 BARC match:

http://www.3gunrules.com/barc_2006.php

Designing equipment compatability into a match is not that hard and IMHO, is a great way to extend the range of compatability in our sport across the disciplines. I choose to use the USPSA/IMG model for rifle and shotgun competition instead of the IDPA model because of the very large customer base already geared up for 3gun/Multigun competition and the existence of a comprehensive set of rifle and shotgun equipment specifications.

Designing equipment compatability into a match is not that hard and IMHO, is a great way to extend the range of compatability in our sport across the disciplines.

+1 on that

I don't know why this thread was moved here. I originally posted it in the "Other Shooting Sports" forum

Because it is a practical rifle match and all practical rifle/shotgun matches are posted in this forum. "Other Shooting Sports" would be for The Masters, Bianchi Cup, Steel Challenge type shooting, etc... (as it says there).

Well, I didn't realize that it was a finite list. I figured ACTS would fall under the etc part.

ACTS is not IPSC nor is it 3Gun.

Tony, I am having a tad of fun by making the joke, but no offense is intended, I always rail against specialty rules that exclude existing gear because the truth is they really are a PITA.

I understand, believe me, no offense was taken. The term "existing" is relative. I don't have any gear that would make me competative in IPSC, and much of it is way out of my price range. The gear you do not have, I do, as do many folks...therefore...it exists.

Yeah, I know....ummm....

That said, I do applaud your effort in putting on a match that will allow many different rifle types to compete alongside each other. I am trying to do something similar for the 2007 BARC match (Bay Area Rifle Championship) that I run out here in California.

Next year, I am going to open the match to Cowboy shooters and their lever action rifles, bolt action shooters and even Garand shooters by fitting them all into the existing divisions through a few simple extensions of the existing rules.

Here is the info page for the recent 2006 BARC match:

http://www.3gunrules.com/barc_2006.php

Designing equipment compatability into a match is not that hard and IMHO, is a great way to extend the range of compatability in our sport across the disciplines. I choose to use the USPSA/IMG model for rifle and shotgun competition instead of the IDPA model because of the very large customer base already geared up for 3gun/Multigun competition and the existence of a comprehensive set of rifle and shotgun equipment specifications.

ACTS' rules already allow for lever guns. About the only thing we disallow are the "space guns" We allow a a pretty wide range of stuff. As a matter of fact, we don't even have a list of disallowed gear. For the most part, it is a case by case decision made by the Match Director, but folks generally know what is over the top and what isn't.

I figured ACTS would fall under the etc part. ACTS is not IPSC nor is it 3Gun.

It uses a rifle and is practical in nature, it belongs in this forum, you can believe me on that ;-)

I don't have any gear that would make me competative in IPSC, and much of it is way out of my price range. The gear you do not have, I do, as do many folks...therefore...it exists.

About 70% of USPSA and IMG multigun competitors shoot in the Tactical Division. Over 50% of competitors shoot in the USPSA Limited division in pistol. USPSA Production division (where pistols are pretty much box stock) is rapidly gaining popularity too. Tactical divisionin multigun specifies a rifle configuration very much in keeping with your rules, a pistol that is iron sighted and a pretty darned practical shotgun.

A stock Glock 35, a stock Benelli M1-S90 and a stock flatop AR-15 with a scope or red dot will run you to the top in USPSA and IMG if you have the capability. Some IDPA pistols are as big an investment as a top tier S*I Limited or Open gun in a lot of cases. I have also seen some pretty expensive stuff mounted on Tac AR's at defensive/tactical classes held on our club range. It definitely ain't an expensive gear thing that makes the difference here, it's purely a style of game and level of competitive intensity thing ;-)

About the only thing we disallow are the "space guns" We allow a a pretty wide range of stuff. As a matter of fact, we don't even have a list of disallowed gear. For the most part, it is a case by case decision made by the Match Director, but folks generally know what is over the top and what isn't.

I have plenty of real world type gear, but matches are Formula 1 racing fer' me. I used to race motorcycles for fun, now I race guns for fun. I really have no interest in anything except being accurate going real, real faaaaasssst! :-)

• 2 months later...