Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Springfield 1911 Load Problems/issues Off A Ransom Rest

spetrola

I got a ransom rest and am I guess still learning how to use it (tighten the gun properly) or/and somethings wrong with the gun. Well I got this gun 1.5 years ago and have never been able to get it to shoot, sent it back and had a match barrel bushing put in thinking that might be it, nope. Since then I have tried using 700x and unique powders and Federal primers. I get high pressure (primer flowback) signs starting at about 1050 fps (using federal primers). I took it to the range and using the ransom rest shot the attached groups if you want to call them that. In the pictures I wrote the recipe for the loads. I have also used winchester white box and that didn't group much better. I took it to the gun store to have it looked over to see if there is anything I missed but the said everything looks good. Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem could be or different loads to try? Anything? All the loads in the pics are about 1020 fps. The Black in the pics is 4"

I have on hand winchester and federal primers, 700x, 231, titegroup, and unique powders. and 124gr West Coast plated and (124gr Zero FMJ which is what I would rather use since I have 15,000 of them)

Any question please feel free to ask, I am so discouraged about this gun I am about to get rid of it. PS. If it's in 98% condition what might I get for it? (It has one scratch at the slide stop)

Scott

post-7803-1146281998_thumb.jpg

post-7803-1146282011_thumb.jpg

Scott - First, welcome to the Forum!

Federal 100 primers are extremely soft, which is why they're recommended for revolvers with light actions. The down side of this is that they flatten out even at .38 Special pressures, which are just over half what you're getting in your Springfield.

Have you used the Ransom with any other gun and gotten good results? If this is the first time, I've heard that there is a real learning curve in their use (I've never used one myself). If you know someone who's an exceptionally good shot, you might get that person to try the gun off a rest. I'm just saying that it might not be the gun.

The "go to" load for 9x19 is 4.2 grains of Titegroup under a 124/125 grain bullet. I get about 1050 fps and under 2" at 25 yards from my CZ-75B using a Zero 125 grain JHP loaded at 1.14" OAL. I use Fed 200s for this load, mainly because I rarely use Fed 100s for anything.

Speakling of overall length, 9x19s usually get better accuracy the longer you load them. With your FMJs, you should be able to load to the max OAL of 1.169". Make a dummy round at that length and see if it drops in your barrel. If it does, load up some ammo at that length at give it a try.

Federal and Winchester both make match ammo in 9x19 - Federal's is 124 grain and Winchester's is 147 grain. Also, Federal's 115 grain JHP load (9BP) has a reputation of being extremely accurate. Try using one of those instead of white box-style ammo and see if accuracy improves.

Good luck!

I get high pressure (primer flowback) signs starting at about 1050 fps (using federal primers). I took it to the range and using the ransom rest shot the attached groups if you want to call them that. In the pictures I wrote the recipe for the loads. I have also used winchester white box and that didn't group much better. I took it to the gun store to have it looked over to see if there is anything I missed but the said everything looks good. Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem could be or different loads to try? Anything? All the loads in the pics are about 1020 fps.

I'm on my third barrel getting my Springfield 9mm 1911 to shoot good. First barrel was minute of paper at 25 yards. Sent back to Springfield, they machined the frame and installed a ramped barrel; results = 4" at 25 yards.(still not acceptable to me but it is to them). Then I bought a Nowlin and a chamber reamer; fitted it and found the load it likes. 5.0 Unique and a 121 HAP with Federal primer at 1.140 OAL, does sub 1" at 25 yards if I do my part.

If you have the factory titainium firing pin, that is causing the primer flow problem. A steel one weights more and will stay forward in the primer during the pressure curve.

Edited by slughammer

The 9 can be touchy in crimp. Use too much and groups can suck. Also. some guns do not like fast powders and lead or plated bullets.

You're trying to solve a multiple-variable problem. first, find accurate ammo. Accurate in some other gun, any gun. Then start on your 1911 using that ammo as a starting point.