Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22lr Then And Now

Nebraskan

Then:

25 years ago I would walk into the local Gambles Hardware store and buy a box of .22LR for $.79 and go shoot. As a 14 year old $1.00 got me ammo and a pack of gum. I don't know if there were laws then about age but there weren't in Wahoo Nebraska.

Now:

Just stopped at Wal-Mart last week and picked up a Federal 550 ct. bulk box of .22LR for $8.96. Still only $.81 a box. :)

Then:

I got a lot of great Chrismas gifts as a kid. I know they were great because I always got what I asked for. Funny thing is, in all those years I can only remember one of them. When I was ten years old, I got a brand new Glenfield Model 60 .22. You know, the one with the squirrel engraved (or so I thought, but really pressed) into the stock.

Now:

We don't have any kids. Just never happened. So I have "adopted" the nephews and niece with regards to guns, hunting and fishing. The oldest is 12. When he turned 10 we got him an air rifle for his birthday. When he turned 12, he got his first .22. The girl that turned 10 wanted a bow, which she got last month, so I guess we are going in a different direction for her.

In any case, they came out to visit this past weekend and got to shoot the .22 for the first time. I sighted it in for them and turned it over to the boy. Started out with 5 in the black. Then the girl wanted to try. I loaded it up, showed her what to do (she hadn't touched any gun ever) and she started shooting. She was banging through it at sub second splits. Finally, after watching her for 5 or 6 shots I said "Hannah, take your time. There is no rush." Just about that time I looked up and saw one in the 6 ring, the rest in the black. (50 ft pistol slow fire target) I decided to shut up and let her finish. :D The trigger control was amazing. I had always heard girls are better students. No machismo. We went back and forth between the two of them. They both tried out the Ruger single 6 and did pretty well at that. Which brings us full circle.

I went to Wal-Mart today and bought a 550 pack of Federal .22LR for $8.96 :wub:

Brings back memories, only mine are 50 years old. I used to buy a 20 pack in a celophane wrapped package that was 4 high by 5 wide. Cost was about 15 cents. Back then you could also get .22 Long along with .22 short and of course long rifle. Depending upon how much money I had at the time I usually bought longs. Shorts if I didn't have the money for longs. Very seldom did I buy LR. Used to walk through town packing the .22 rifle, then when I got older the shotgun. I walked because I was too young to have a driver's license.

My step son was 6 when I got married. I started him out with a BB rifle then a .22 single shot, then the semi-auto Win. M77, M1 Carbine and AR15. Got him interested in High Power Rifle shooting along with Bullseye Pistol and IPSC. They were fun times.

I have bought and sold a fair number of guns over the years; interests would change, money would get tight, etc. But among the "ain;t never gonna get sold" group is the Ruger 10/22 Dad gave me for Christmas. Before that we had a tube fed .22 that belonged to his uncle. The old sand pit was down the road and we spent many a Sat afternoon destroying cans and anything else, then cleaning up after ourselves. I would save my allowance since .22LR was 4.99 a 500ct brick for the green and black boxes (Remingtons?).

While I have no children, when my sister announced she was pregant with a little boy, Dad and I looked at each other and went out and bought a Henry Golden Boy for the child the next day.

Its amazing that thinking back many of the best childhood memories I have with my father are down at the sandpit shooting, or as adults when he starting shooting SASS and USPSA with me.