Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Powder Measure Throwing Erratic Charges

I went into my workshop on Saturday ready to crank out some serious ammo.

The 650 was primed and ready from my last session. No adjustments required.

I filled the primer tube, dumped the brass into the case feeder and filled up the powder measure with Titegroup.

As is my habit, I checked the first several rounds on my scale and discovered the powder charges were all over the road.

Everything appeared normal.

I pulled out the owners manual and looked at all the trouble shooting recommendations.

After I got through the checklist the problem still wasn't apparent.

Okay, time to take the powder measure apart and see what's going on.

While dumping the powder I noticed something rattling in the bottom of the hopper

Turned out to be a casing that had missed the case feeder and landed in the powder measure.

Moral of the story:

The only time the cap comes off the powder measure is when you're filling it.

Tls

I had a similar occurrence. This was attributed to a clump of powder that formed from the glue they used to apply the protective seal. It seems someone went crazy with the glue and drizzled it into the powder as a little extra. It was fairly large and it got lodged in the powder funnel. I caught it when powder was still coming out of the funnel when the press was in the down position.

I was loading 45acp with win.231 when my powder check die went off. I checked the two in front of it. They were OK. that one was light, the next one was lighter, then no powder! So I dumped the powder out of the powder measure thinking a clump, boy was I wrong! There was a piece of real dirty paper down in it (looked like it had been in the powder for a long time). So I sent an email off to Winchester and got a reply that the person who takes care of that was off for a week. The next morning the telephone rang, it was Winchester and they were sending a UPS pickup for 12 loaded bullets and the paper. Two weeks later I got a check for $20 for my bullets and to buy a new can of powder- no explanation!

rick t

I was loading and suddenly the powder stopped dropping even though the hopper was more than half full. I messed with it for a few minuets and then decided to dump the measure. Out came a .45 230 fmj that had gotten in there somehow? It stopped the powder but didn't jam up the bar. Good thing I visualy check all my loads as they go to the seating station on my 650.

Neal in AZ