Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For Clubs That Swing Both Ways

Catfish

I am on the BoD of IDPA Dallas and many of our club members, myself included, have been shooting a lot of uspsa over the past year. Our club met with our sectional co-ordinator last night to start the process of shooting uspsa.

Some questions have come up with the BoD that I'm sure someone else has had experience with:

1. For those clubs that shoot two (or more) disciplines, how do you handle the funds?

2. Do you have an idpa club and an ipsc club, or do you have one umbrella organization under which all disciplines shoot?

3. How do you handle club insurance?

4. Do you have a separate BoD for each club, or do you operate under a BoD that encompasses all disciplines?

5. How do you handle web space? Again, shared, or separate?

As I'm sure you can tell from these questions, we are trying to decide whether or not to change the name of our existing organization to something like Dallas Practical Shooters and create an umbrella organization that would handle all the organizational things like insurance, funds, supplies, etc or to have two separate, but related organizations.

The great news is that it looks like with a little work, uspsa will soon be back in the DFW Metroplex!

Any advice appreciated!!

Derrick

We successfully joined IDPA and IPSC under one roof. For the past year, we have successfully (Ithink) resolved the US and THEM attitude, although, there are many IDPA'ers that are vocally imitated by the shooting of IPSC.

The simple answers:

One general fund.

No BOD.

If we need it, we buy it, but doing so as to benefit both sports as much as possible.

Two seperate Match Directors, schedules, etc.

Share all props.

Share all money.

Share the range.

Share Wednesday practice night.

One common website, insurance policy

Name of club stayed the same.

Promote each others sports.

At the end of the year, we do evaluate the income of the two games, then that may be a factor in how prop and target cash is allocated.

Glad to see you are working to house both sports!!!

Check it out, www.raccoonhunters.org

Edited by Cameron

If the BoD is in agreement on having more than one discipline "I" would think that a single BoD would be much preferred. No little "groups" creating conflicts between the disciplines and a better overall view of how to spend the $$ on props and matches. Personally I think the name change to reflect the multiple shooting groups under a single banner is great. If you can keep the hardcore "we are the only TRUE "way" bunch from entrenching themselves in the BoD and creating the poison pill syndrome the greater overall number of shooters should benefit both/all parties.

My .02. :)

Our club leadership appointed a Match Director for each discipline. We each handled our match fees for the year and bought what we needed in the way of targets, water, etc. We shared expenses on props, target stands, and sticks. At the end of each year we pooled the cash from match fees and handed over most to the club savings account for future expansions and range operation expenses. Some of the match fees were reserved to start up the next year's matches. Web page space was shared with each discipline having its own info pages linked on the main range homepage.

This arrangement worked quite well for 10 or so years. I took IDPA over as MD for the last year but we made the decision to fold the club due to changing match dates and diminishing returns. Now more of us work on the USPSA matches and 3 gun matches.

Edited by Middle Man

Our club shoots USPSA, IDPA, SASS, Bullseye, GSSF, and occasionally a local round robin of all the above. Though our pistol division deposits all of the funds into a single account, the treasurer keeps a balance for each discipline and a general fund for everything else. Our bylaws require us to approve MD expenses over $100, and BoD approval for expenses over $1000. Same insurance, same BoD, different websites linked to one another. Hope this helps.

We share props and general expenses like electricity and port-a-johns, and discipline specific expenses like paper targets or small props are deducted from each disciplines balance. It works really well I think, because it gives checks and balances from objective people that don't shoot every sport, but have a common interest in the club.

Edited by fomeister