Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brake For 308 Bolt Gun

Bronco

Any of you run a brake on your bolt gun? If so which one and how would you rate it. I'm looking for one that keeps the dust printing to a minimum but is as effective as possible. Thanks for any help. Keith

I'll second the Holland, but in IMHO you really don't need a brake on a .308 bolt gun unless it is very light. I run a fairly stock Remington PSS in .308 and I have little trouble getting back on target to watch my rounds impact.

Thanks guys, I posted this same question over on Sniper's Hide and got pretty much the same info. I have about decided to go with the Holland.

Mike, sad to say but rotator cuff issues have me looking for any relief from recoil and I also enjoy seeing the hit.

M118LR, we just got our concealed carry bill passed here in Kansas (one of the last 4 states to pass it), you don't think they would trust us with suppressors yet. Maybe down the road we will have some enlightened representatives but I doubt it. No we will continue to make a lot of noise and belch fire from our bores. Thanks Keith

The AI brake has a metric thread and requires a sleeve region turned to "about" 0.83" behind the threads. The standard 308 brake is moderately effective and not very loud. It is less effective than the JP BC comp, but the JP is much louder for both shooter and spotters.

The new AI two-chamber brake uses the same muzzle pattern, but is much larger and is much more effective on large gas volume cartridges (e.g. 300 & 338). I have tried it on my 308 and noticed some difference.

A suppressor on 308 class cartridges reduces the recoil and report to 22LR, but does increase OAL and weight.

• 3 months later...

+1 on M118lr's Jet suggestion, don't have one personally, but damn they are sweet, reduces recoil, no earmuffs needed and they look like a million bucks. :wub:

The only brake I run, is on my 300WM, I run a JP tank style, and with my heaviest game loads, I can still spot my own shots after a 50 round string and then walk away without hurting...

One caution, although you will love your JP brake, everyone around you will not, if you know what I mean.... You will not get dusty, but the guys next to you will. The shooter is out of the 'blast cone' but anyone next to you will get slapped in the face by the concusion, and dirt in the face if you are all shooting prone.