Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1a Socom Questions

Bones

I'm using an M1A SOCOM. I know it is far from ideal for 3 gun matches but I have a few questions.

Would switching from the XS tritium to the stock M1A sight set yield significant advantages at distance, even with the reduced sight radius of the 16 barrel? I have no issue with IPSC targets out to 200 yd but the small poppers are problematic.

I've recently experienced failures to eject spent casings and charging from an open bolt and I've occasionally had trouble fully retracting the charging handle to reload. I'm using South African surplus 147 gr ammo. I have used this ammo before and haven't had these issues with the first ~1000 rd. What should I check first?

Is there a 3 point sling option available for this rifle and from who?

Thanks,

Craig

Lube the bolt, and op rod with grease. White Lubriplate. Is your gas piston free? With the bolt open, you should hear it move back and forth when rocking the rifle from muzzle up to butt stock up. Clean the carbon out of the hollow end of the gas piston. Make sure your fingers aren't grabbing the op rod when shooting.

Yes a narrower front sight would help immensly.......HOWEVER...... a "standard front sight won't work in this aplication as it is way too short and no matter what you do it will shoot WAY high. There are two fixes. One is take a standard sight, mill off the post, drill and tap a screw into the middle of where the post was and cut it off at the same hight of the stcok sight then turn it down to whatever diameter you like ( like .050" ) and the red loctite it in. The other way is to remove the tritium vial DON'T BREAK IT!!!! and have some one mill the sight sides down to what ever you like width wise.

Dan fairly well covered the grease and oil thing, but DON'T grease the piston it'sself just the tail!! Good luck. KURTM

Thanks.

I cleaned the piston - it is dry and moves freely with gravity. I cleaned the mags and used Tetragrease on the op rod, roller and bolt. I think I may have been running too dry.

Also, thanks for the tip on the FS height - I did not think of that.

Craig

Edited by Bones