Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated Bullets In A Scheumann Aet Barrel?

Cuz

Is anyone using plated bullets in a Scheumann AET barrel? I have a 40 cal that I've been shooting Montana Gold 180 gr JHP bullets in but I'm thinking I'd like to switdch to plated to save some money. Is anyone currently shooting plated in their AET? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

As many have said, keep the crimp to a minimum! ;)

Ivan

PS how much are you paying for the plated bullets?

I

I'm following DirtyPool's lead and going with Berry's on the bulk purchase plan. Right now the base price for 1000 of the 40 cal 180 gr hollow points are $51.77 plus shipping. Me and a few friends already have an order for 30,000 bullets put together and are waiting for a few others to jump in. Don't know yet what the shipping will be but we'll have about 1000 pounds to ship. As I understand it anything under about 180gr will fit 2000 to a USPS flat rate box. Others won't fit. Once I get the complete order together I'll call Berry's to get the shipping estimate.

-Cuz

Schuemann's website warns of excessive accuracy loss using bullets containing Moly diSulfide. Having been a lousy chemistry student, does this mean Berry's and Ranier's

plated bullets do not contain this substance?

Edited by Trader

Why is there a problem with Moly in the AET? What is so special about the moly and AET combo that is so bad? I shoot masterblasters and it's great in my other gun. Masterblasters also claims less barrel wear vs. jacketed. Does anyone here have any horror stories on this? Maybe I should email Scheumann.

I'd been using Ranier plated bullets in my 9mm (147's @ 880 fps) with good results. It was a springfield with a stock barrel. I built another 9mm a little while ago, and I used a Schuemann AET barrel in that. The plated bullets didn't work so well, with a lot of them tumbling and keyholing their way through the target. I switched to the exact same load using Precision Delta jacketed bullets, and the problem disappeared.

I heard that too much crimp can, in some cases, cause the behaviour I was seeing, but I did not investigate it once I found that the other bullet worked so well.