Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Gunsmithing

Rob Boudrie

I hate bad gunsmiths who take advantage of inexperienced shooters.

A new shootar at the club today had problems with his 1911. I noticed the extractor was a bit tight and cajoled a locally famous and very competent, but retired (from gunsmithing) gunsmith to look at the gun. He fixed the extractor tension.

The shooter later noticed a pin was working its way out of the gun. The gunmsith pointed out it was put in backwards. I took the shooter to the safe table where we disassembled his 1911 to put the pin in from the left (so the flare would be captive).

What I found:

1. Hammer pin in backwards - inserted from right side of gun

2. Ditto for the sear pin

3. Small pin which retains mainspring plunger in the mainspring housing omitted from gun

4. Mainspring housing retaining pin replaced with homemade one - the groove in the center looked like it was made with a dremmel

5. Drop in beavertail - the "gunsmith" sold him one for $75 so he "wouldn't have to cut metal"

Total charge for this trigger job - $120. Fortunately for the gunsmith, I did not recognize the name which is why I am not really sure who it is.

Rob,

I have heard the name of this "gunsmith" in the past. He's a member of the Woburn Sportsman's Club, and plays with bolt guns, kind of a benchrest shooter. What he did to that Springfield was appalling. But, with all the "drop in" stuff for 1911's how hard can it be to do something. I would have told the shooter the first thing to go would be the GI sights on the gun. I hope he finds someone reliable. Unfortunately, in our area, there few gunsmiths, let alone someone that plays the game that we do, which is critical for getting a gun that works, and proper advice for a new shooter to our sport.

I hate bad gunsmiths who take advantage of inexperienced shooters.

A new shootar at the club today had problems with his 1911. I noticed the extractor was a bit tight and cajoled a locally famous and very competent, but retired (from gunsmithing) gunsmith to look at the gun. He fixed the extractor tension.

The shooter later noticed a pin was working its way out of the gun. The gunmsith pointed out it was put in backwards. I took the shooter to the safe table where we disassembled his 1911 to put the pin in from the left (so the flare would be captive).

What I found:

1. Hammer pin in backwards - inserted from right side of gun

2. Ditto for the sear pin

3. Small pin which retains mainspring plunger in the mainspring housing omitted from gun

4. Mainspring housing retaining pin replaced with homemade one - the groove in the center looked like it was made with a dremmel

5. Drop in beavertail - the "gunsmith" sold him one for $75 so he "wouldn't have to cut metal"

Total charge for this trigger job - $120. Fortunately for the gunsmith, I did not recognize the name which is why I am not really sure who it is.

Yeowwwww! At least we now know why he retired from gunsmithing...... not a moment too soon, either!

Yeowwwww! At least we now know why he retired from gunsmithing...... not a moment too soon, either!

You've got that backwards. The individual who retired from gunsmithing is very competent, and enjoyed a loyal following while he was in the business. By the time he first saw this gun at the match, it had already been worked on by the other smith. Gunsmith #2 fixed the extractor and did so properly. If you read the thread carefully you can get an idea who I am talking about.

The induhdivual(*) who put two pins in backwards; replaced one pin with a hacked up replacement, and just plain lost a fourth pin is still doing business.

* - With all respect to Dogbert's New Ruling Class