Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing The Caliber Of A Barrel ?

10mmdave

Okay, some of us hijacked a thread over in the classified's about finding a 5 inch 610 so

I thought I'd start this here instead of continuing over there..........

My question is...how hard would it be to "re-line" say a 44 mag barrel to 10mm :blink:

I know they do this for 22's, they have to bore out the barrel and put in the liner and

silver solder it to stay in place.

....Or could a 38/357 barrel be "re-rifled" to 40 caliber ??

Downside on this conversion would be finding a newer, heavy contour barrel,

not the old Mod 27's/28's.

I have 2 thoughts as to how to do it, (well maybe 1 that will work)

Any gunsmithy's out there feel like chiming in ??

And I know the S&W purists may want to tar and feather me (you want to do what to an

original Model 41 mag stainless barrel !!!) and I don't consider this an equipment race

either, a lot of us need the longer sight radius just to see the dang things but the weight of

a full lugged barrel is not needed.

I also have a hunk of 40 caliber rifled barrel stock I bought out of Shotgun news 10+ years

ago and there's got to be something I can do with it :lol:

Okay, flame on !

Dave,

I have a 6 inch non lugged model 657 in 41 mag.

I have often wished i could get me a gun exactly like it in .45acp.

Even to the extent that If I found another like it I might consider changing it to a .45acp

I like the way it feels and handles and seems to be slightly snappier in transitions than my 625s...

Still have to try out the 25-2 I've been working on. getting it up to "USPSA" standards. It might be the answer. :)

HOP

Dave,

I have a 6 inch non lugged model 657 in 41 mag.

I have often wished i could get me a gun exactly like it in .45acp.

Even to the extent that If I found another like it I might consider changing it to a .45acp

I like the way it feels and handles and seems to be slightly snappier in transitions than my 625s...

Still have to try out the 25-2 I've been working on. getting it up to "USPSA" standards. It might be the answer. :)

HOP

Yep, not so sure the 25-2 might not be the best USPSA revolver out there. Most of 'em don't like lead bullets, but otherwise they are just excellent. A nice coat of hard-chrome would make a 25-2 even look like a stainless gun, for those who prefer that look. I am very happy with my current brace of 625s, but if I were starting over again I would probably work up a pair of 25-2s instead. Saw a beautiful one, as new in presentation case, at a local gun dealer about 2 years ago for $500--let it sit there overnight while I thought about it, when I went back the next day it was gone. I still have two 25-2s down in the gun room. Sam shoots one, and the other isn't eligible for USPSA use since it has a fancy ported Shilen bull barrel installed by the late, great John Nowlin himself.

Enough thread drift.....Dave, to answer your original question, yes, you're nuts. :D

Enough thread drift.....Dave, to answer your original question, yes, you're nuts. :D

I thought Randy was doing something like this for the "franken revo"

(what did we used to call that USPSA 45revo :wacko: )

A Walther blank and 25-2 sleeve ?

OK Dave, I've been thinking about this all day, and I think I may have an idea.......it involves a spiral-shaped .401"-diameter Dremel cutter with a nice long shaft......!

Ya know.....they make a drill press attachment for them Dremel tools so you drill nice

precise holes in things, maybe that's the ticket :D

Intel6 has the right info thou, maybe Hamilton Bowen or a barrel maker ?

My first thought would be to take a bulged messed up barrel, heck even one where the

threads have been messed up !

Make a barrel blank out of raw barrel material, barrel threads and all.

Bore out the orig barrel to slip over the new barrel, bore it large enough so it takes the

threads off. (and of course make the new barrel large enough)

Silver solder or oven braze the 2 together (not sure on the oven brazing part, might

weaken the metal) Maybe even Accra glass or JB weld :P

Hmmmm........my only problem would be the caliber marking on the side of the barrel,

......if I only knew of a tool that coud grind and polish that area :rolleyes:

okokokok , I know I'm nut's but it could work !

Hmmmm........my only problem would be the caliber marking on the side of the barrel,

......if I only knew of a tool that coud grind and polish that area :rolleyes:

I'm your huckleberry. :)

Oh good, Fruits AND Nuts. :P