Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w Iterations

Nemo

Is there a variation of S&W revolvers with the internal firing pin but without the key lock? Specifically in a 625.

Gracias,

I recall seeing a list that indicated there was a period of time that 625's were made with the frame mounted pin before the locks were introduced. IIRC the -8 was the lock revision.

So while you may be able to find one, no new guns are being produced without the lock. Is that your question?

Nemo, my "main" 625 is exactly what you described. It's a 625-6. MIM guts, frame-mounted firing pin, no lock. Some people have reported seeing 625-6s that still have the hammer-nose, so apparently they're not all the same.

(BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about the lock, it comes out easy!)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Well I couldn't pass it up and bought another 625-3. This one has been through Smith's PC for one of their packages and hammer bobbin'-DA-only job. It's in really good shape! Now I can send my old one for a much needed "Col. Steve Austin" reconstruction.

:o My gawd... As of today I have two IPSC revolvers... This is not good. :o

Is there any difference on the trigger jobs Mr. Lee can get from hammer mounted vs. new style Smiths?

B)

Update:

Well I couldn't pass it up and bought another 625-3. This one has been through Smith's PC for one of their packages and hammer bobbin'-DA-only job. It's in really good shape! Now I can send my old one for a much needed "Col. Steve Austin" reconstruction.

:o My gawd... As of today I have two IPSC revolvers... This is not good. :o

Is there any difference on the trigger jobs Mr. Lee can get from hammer mounted vs. new style Smiths?

B)

IIRC Randy only works his magic on frame-mounted guns....I'm sure he'll chime in if I'm wrong.

Nemo, my "main" 625 is exactly what you described. It's a 625-6. MIM guts, frame-mounted firing pin, no lock. Some people have reported seeing 625-6s that still have the hammer-nose, so apparently they're not all the same.

(BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about the lock, it comes out easy!)

Besides, you will need that hole in the side of the frame to install Randy Lee's cylinder release for lefties.

I'm still waiting to hear more about it Randy!!!

-Cuz.

IIRC Randy only works his magic on frame-mounted guns....I'm sure he'll chime in if I'm wrong.

:huh: ?

Please don't tell me that. :(

Randy?

Besides, you will need that hole in the side of the frame to install Randy Lee's cylinder release for lefties.

:huh: The gun's for me not for my lefty kid... yet...

Naw, he'll do it. He just can't use his special hammer, and the action won't be quite as light, but it will still be fairly magical compared to most wheels.

Naw, he'll do it. He just can't use his special hammer, and the action won't be quite as light, but it will still be fairly magical compared to most wheels.

That must be what I was thinking about. The new hammer. I sure like mine. B)

"Fairly magical" will do, for now. I wanted a newer 625 to have it Randysized but at the price I got this one, just couldn't pass.

In my hands one or the other won't make much of a difference... :lol:

I picked up a nice 625-4 (with hammer nose) a couple months ago and worked it over, and it came out really nice. I'll carry it to matches as a back-up this season. The action is not quite as light as that on my 625-6, but close enough I can't really tell when shooting a match.

I just got one of Randy's hammers for my 625. It's fantastic. No matter what I did to my hammer I always had something in there I didn't like. Put the new hammer on yesterday and voila.... everything is the way it should be.

Luke it was quite simple. I did have to take the sear off another hammer I had and the Stirrup to put on Randy's hammer. If you don't have them already order them from Brownells and order the pins to go with them. I did break one of my punches trying to get the pins out of the old hammer.

You also need a sear spring. Although I think you can use the one from your new hammer as well. They appear to be the same size.

As for fitting, I didn't have to do anything. Lowered the trigger pull some by adjusting the mainspring and put in a lighter rebound spring. Now I'm happy at just over 5 lbs on my 625. Not as nice as the work Randy does himself. My 627 has closer to 4 lbs.

I'll second that and add that for a small additional charge Randy installed the sear, spring, pins and stirrup for me. All I had to do was take a little off the sear with a stone so it would reset on the trigger.

It looks purtyful. I may have to put a mirror finish on it so I can see myself smile when I shoot it. ;)

I sure am glad you guys(and Gals who may be lurking ;) ) like my hammer! I may be able to quit my night job as a pizza delivery boy!

You can get the trigger pulls pretty close to what the frame mounted f/p guns- usually only 4-6 oz. heavier. I think the ones I sent out recently were running 4 lbs. 12 oz. or so.

It's do-able.

~Randy