Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never Give Up

North

I placed 2nd in our local match on sunday. Limited 10.

On my 1st stage I felt I sucked. Long stage 150 points. On scond array I hit a No shoot, I saw it and made it up. 3 array 6 small poppers, I shot 7 rounds at popper 5. Last array 4 plate and 3 paper, I missed twice at a plate, I needed to reload to finnish the paper. I would have had to dig in my pocket for my 6th mag.

I choose to just end it, not reload.

That cost me at least 10 points more than likly 14 to 15.

The winning hit factor on that stage was 3.53

Mine was 2.86, but i was down that 14 points and I was 1 second faster.

I lost the match by 5.04 points.

Don't stop shooting until you are completly out of ammo or the course is complete.

PS, I got my 1st over all win shooting limited the same day, with my single stack 1911 45ACP Springfield.

Limited

Name Class PF Points Stg %

Clint B C Major 376.0477 100.00%

Jim F A Major 368.0366 97.87%

Kent V B Major 367.1467 97.63%

Don P U Minor 322.5775 85.78%

Gary B C Major 318.9058 84.80%

Pat S C Major 302.4679 80.43%

Ron E C Major 299.1978 79.56%

Richard B U Major 242.9825 64.61%

Michael B U Minor 220.0769 58.52%

Klaus J U Major 200.5399 53.33%

What really helps me is a mental center of "a clean accurate match in complete control"

On the line, it's 2 alpha, 2 alpha, 2 alpha.

With this in the noodle, there's no room for anything else.

Doubt, uncertainty, rushing...none of that pesky crap can get in if the conscious mind has a good hold on the above.

SA

• 7 months later...

This is one of the greatest lessons that Uncle Bill has taught me. If you have a bad stage, erase it from your mind and focus on the next one. If (and you should expect to) have a phenomenal stage, congragulate yourself and carry that groovieness to the next!

This is one of the greatest lessons that Uncle Bill has taught me. If you have a bad stage, erase it from your mind and focus on the next one. If (and you should expect to) have a phenomenal stage, congragulate yourself and carry that groovieness to the next!

+1 PB

• 3 weeks later...
What really helps me is a mental center of "a clean accurate match in complete control"

On the line, it's 2 alpha, 2 alpha, 2 alpha.

With this in the noodle, there's no room for anything else.

Doubt, uncertainty, rushing...none of that pesky crap can get in if the conscious mind has a good hold on the above.

SA

I know it, but often don't do it. Funny for me how a stage with no-shoots and obscured targets, can all the sudden, magically, turn into a clean stage.

I keep telling myself, if it was easy, I woulda got bored and quit a long time ago.

Edited by simonsay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Never quit is right. I never look at the posted scores during a match on purpose. I'll get to why I don't in a minute.

Last Saturday's match, I know I'm doing pretty well. Get to the last stage, 32 rd field course. Start, fire off my first 8 rds at 4 paper on the move, do the zig to the left to hit the paper hiding behind the barrier before charging back to the right and downrange to hit the next 5 paper before my reload (limited w/ a P16 21+1). Anyway, as I nail the two close shots around the barricade and dash back to the right and downrange I notice a mag, one of MY mags, flying through the air of to the left of where I just was. It suddenly occured to me that I should now reload (10 rounds ahead of time) so I do. So, I then continue with my original, but now modified plan and fire off 20 rounds. Now let me defend myself in saying my round count is now blown and I'm just engaging the targets in the order I had originally planned. CLICK! Crap! Reload! Oh wait, I just find out that I have no mags left on my belt. The one I saw depart to the left earlier was my #1 reload mag and the one I just emptied was my spare. So... keep now painfully empty blaster pointed downrange and do some rapid backtracking to where I originally and mistakenly changed mags, retrieve it and reload and haul butt back to the final shooting position to mow the final 4 steel to finally end this train wreck.

I'm now furious. Half a heartbeat from pitching something downrange. Looking back on it I really can't give a reason why I was this bent out of shape at the time, but I was. Kinda embarrases me now. Hope I handle a situation, if it or something like it ever happens again, better in the future. Walk back to my car and leave my whole belt, gun, mags in the trunk and stand off to the side for a full 5 min before my blood pressure returns to somewhat normal tolerances. Fine now. Match is over and scores are being posted so I go look.

I won the match. Won the first three stages, and got 5th on the train wreck stage. Now this is just a local level 1 match, but still. I'm a limited B and I just edged out a master open, 2nd place 95% and an A open 82%. If I'd have just went "Oh crap, I'm outta ammo" and blown the rest of that stage, things wouldn't have turned out as fortunate as they did for me.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER QUIT SHOOTING!

I won the match. Won the first three stages, and got 5th on the train wreck stage. Now this is just a local level 1 match, but still. I'm a limited B and I just edged out a master open, 2nd place 95% and an A open 82%. If I'd have just went "Oh crap, I'm outta ammo" and blown the rest of that stage, things wouldn't have turned out as fortunate as they did for me.
Local boy makes good. :D

Way to go, Ken!

Thanks Chuck.

When are you coming back out to play with us on the weekends? Heck, even Faron has decided he wants to now. Another victim falls to the dark side...

BTW, bring your new AR out in May, I'm hosting a 3-gun at OGC. Probably 4th Saturday.