Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doh Holster For Open

DaG

While shooting a steel challenge match today, I noticed my draw times were about 3/10 ths slower with the open gun when drawing from a CR speed vs a plain jane kydex with a Glock. I seemed to be more confident when drawing from the kydex and was wondering if a DOH holster would be possible for an open gun. What y'all think?

DaG

While shooting a steel challenge match today, I noticed my draw times were about 3/10 ths slower with the open gun when drawing from a CR speed vs a plain jane kydex with a Glock. I seemed to be more confident when drawing from the kydex and was wondering if a DOH holster would be possible for an open gun. What y'all think?

DaG

Possible, yes. But it would take a long, straight up draw to clear the comp before you could come forward.

What type of open gun? Sight?

I'd bet the ranch that its not the holster that's making the draw slower. You're just used to seeing the irons quicker and maybe more comfortable with the Glock grip angle if the open gun is not a Glock. It can take awhile to get as fast with an open gun as a limited gun if you started out shooting limited (I know). You may never be as fast up close with an open gun as with irons.

Instead of buying a holster, dry fire until the open gun becomes more natural.

I seemed to be more confident when drawing from the kydex and was wondering if a DOH holster would be possible for an open gun. What y'all think?

DaG

Sounds like you need a to spend some "quality time" with the CR and the open gun. I'm 3/10ths faster from a modified 012 over a kydex and the same gun.

If you have a small compensator/small gun and you hog out the front strap area of the kydex holster I think it would work just fine. I am faster with the GLock also, but I think that's because the gun is so light...

DaG

Possible? Sure--BladeTech will make a DOH for about anything, given enough time and money.

I think you slower 1st shot time with the open gun is probably a dot acquisition issue.

Practice. A lot. I have the same problem with my G17/Docter open gun. My draw

times suck, and it's find-the-dot that slows me down.

I do know that with my G35 set up for limited, the draw time is the same from either

a CR Speed or DOH holster. I was using the CR for regular matches, and the DOH for

3 gun. After timing the two holsters for draw speed, I just use the DOH for everything.

I prefer it set up one hole muzzle forward--it's a little faster than straight up and down.

There was a thread back some time ago about this where a person was faster in Kydex than a race rig.

Perhaps it was the same issue where you are just a tad bit more agressive in grabbing it from the kydex than a race rig to keep from it flying out of your hand?

Then again it could be sight acquition.

ampleworks,

I think you nailed it.......I'm much more aggressive when drawing from the kydex. It's a more secure feeling. I thought more about it, and it seems there was another poster, I think it was Wakal that had a DOH for an open gun but I can't seem to find the post.

DaG