Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

See My Vest

EricW

Odd you should mention that song stuck in your head.  It got stuck in mine right after I drove past a bunch of morons (animal rights activists) picketing Addidas for using kangaroo leather in their shoes.  Before I could stop and ask where I could buy ten pair, that song came into my head.  Of course I had to add another verse:

"...Like my shoes...?  They're kangaroos!!..."

[Oddly enough, Australians, the folks who actually have to LIVE with kangaroos, don't seem to give a devil's damn about killing them.  From what I've heard, there's so many of the things running around, they have to bolt cow-catchers on the fronts of their cars.  At least that's what my friends told me when they visited.

Maybe one of the Aussies on the board will set me straight on this, though.]

"From what I've heard, there's so many of the things running around, they have to bolt cow-catchers on the fronts of their cars.  At least that's what my friends told me when they visited."

Right you are Eric. They are called "Roo Bars" and everybody that drives much out in the boonies down there has them on their vehicles.

I figure that you would also need good windshield wipers too ;-)

(Edited by George at 3:29 pm on Oct. 22, 2002)

• 1 month later...

I'm from New Zealand which is just over a small pond away. I spent some time in Aus and lots of them come over here to hunt deer.

Kangaroos are a bloody menace. They do hunt them from Helicopters, but unfortunately not gunships. Just take off the door, strap yourself in and away you go. I have done the same thing when culling DEER. Great fun, very dangerous oh did I mention great fun.

If you ever see a full grown Red Kangaroo you will see why they have cow catchers on the cars, they are ENORMOUS. about 7' high when standing normal and over 8' if they get up on the toes. When they run (jump/hop) they will go 30' between hops.

Taste great, they actually farm them for the meat as well, but it is much cheaper, easier and quicker to go bush with a chiller truck and shoot them from a truck at night with spotlights.