Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment For A Big Match

I shot a few monthly 3gun matches, and I'm considering going to a bigger match. Specifically, the Cavalry Arms match in Waco. Logistics are easy and September is usually an easy month to get off work. I have guns, holster, belts, mag pouches, soft long gun cases, etc, but I don't know what the essential spares are when away from home. Can you experienced shooters tell me what is in your traveling kit? Thanks, Javier

Cleaning kit with a rigid cleaning rod. Lens wipes for your optics. Rain gear is a good idea...it tends to rain there around that time of year.

I carry a complete field repair kit for ARs with me...but I've never had to use it, probably because I actually have it with me all the time :P

If you want to shoot Trooper class, I can give you a more detailed list of stuff I'd reccomend to have in your pack.

What is in your field repair kit for the AR? That is exactly the type of information I'm after. For a one day monthly match I know I can use a buddy's rifle to finish, but for a couple of days of shooting it would be nice to know what type of stuff to have on hand to repair a problem and finish with my own rifle. I also shoot an 11-87 and a P14-45 if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

I'm with Russel. I throw in a Bore Snake to clean my rifle between stages. I give the bolt and carrier a quick wipe down too, depending on the conditions. I'm superstitious as hell and a little mid-match maintenance never hurts.

My parts kit is not very fancy. It's in a Shimano fishing lure/hook box that you can get at Wal-Mart for under $5 that allows you to set where the partitions are and it fits EASILY in a range bag. I keep extra firing pins, retainers (a lot of these!), extra gas rings, extractor assemblies, extra charging handle latch, lens pen, extra cap for my JPoint and other assorted small parts.

This is what's on the range with vs. what's back at the match hotel/in the rental car. I keep my cleaning rods, brushes, etc. in the rear, until I come home to shoot Trooper Class.

Hope that helped.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Parts for AR: Extractor spring, extractor, cam pin, firing pin. If anything bigger breaks, borrow one!

Parts for Pistol: Extractor, firing pin, pin for bowmar sight, extra fiber optic rod if you run one, and your CCW pistol, because you never leave home without it :D

For the shotgun....well it is a Remmy, go check out the posts on what breaks and get out the check book and the Brownnells catalog.

Cleaning equipment/repair: squib rod, bore snake, oil, Pin punch set, Allen wrench set, Leatherman. I NEVER break down a rifle/pistol/shotgun at a match unless it is completely covered in blowing dust and sand. I will oil gas rings, and slide rails/bolt races

I would love a list of things to pack for the Trooper class. Any help is appreciated.

James

This is what I would reccomend...not all is required, but it will make shooting Trooper a lot easier or more comfortable.

3 Day Assault Style pack, like the Spec Ops Brand The Pack, or Eagle equivalent. There are a lot of packs this size out there, that are adaquate for carrying all your ammo and gear for Trooper.

I would suggest at least 50% more ammo than what is listed. I usually take 100% more.

Snacks; power bars, beef jerky etc. You do get to eat lunch, everything else must be carried on you.

Gatorade powder and Nalgene bottle. You can refill water all you like, beverages other than water must be carried with you.

Cleaning kit with rigid cleaning rod. All your cleaning will be done on the range.

Lens Wipes

Spare parts for anything you could possibly see breaking. Or simply carry extra guns as Trooper allows you to do this.

Batteries for all your electronic sights and tac lights (we will have two night stages this year in Waco). Back up hand held light in addition to your tac light.

Rain/Cold Weather Gear

Sunscreen (we won't bump you out of trooper if you need to borrow sunscreen, but plan ahead and try to be self sufficient)

Multi-Tool (to help you make repairs to your guns if need be.

Shemagh, Spec Ops Brand Recon Wrap, or a towel...any number of uses.

Gloves

Duct Tape (take several feet and rewrap it around a pen) and Zip Ties; field expedient repairs to your gear.

Double Long Gun Case with shoulder strap is probably the easiest way to carry your long guns from stage to stage.

For the MGM, I carry Russel in my pack :D

you want to use Don, he is half the weight and twice the fury! He used his nunchucks to engage clay targets at the local 3 gun match last weekend after shooting his shotgun dry. :ph34r:

What type of tac lights are most people running?

I use a Surefire X200 on my Glock. Surefire G2 Nitrolons on my rifles with simple clamp mounts.

What about chest rigs and stuff, what do you recommend/ know that works, for holding mags and ammo and stuff, whilst shooting?? and preferences??

I would love to shoot trooper class, but dont wana spend $300 plus buck on a loada gear that doesnt work.?

Any ideas?

What about chest rigs and stuff, what do you recommend/ know that works, for holding mags and ammo and stuff, whilst shooting?? and preferences??

I would love to shoot trooper class, but dont wana spend $300 plus buck on a loada gear that doesnt work.?

Any ideas?

Honestly you don't need a vest. You can use your regular gear and just carry a 3 Day pack like the Eagle model or the Spec Ops Brand THE Pack with all your ammo, parts, snacks, and cleaning stuff in it

I like using a vest because I can carry everything I need without swapping things around for the specific stage. Everything is always in the same spot.

What type of vest will work best for you depends on your height/build to some degree. Chest rigs work better for skinny guys for example.

Whatever you use I suggest you get something MOLLE/PALS compatible so you can put it together to best suit your needs. How many mags, shells, etc are you looking at carrying, I can make a reccomendation from there...

Say enough kit to do the ironman, and vest set up capable of getting you through the toughest stages there.

You will hear lots of calls for "AMMO!" at ironman from people not carry enough on them...I believe they allow assistance in all the other classes. If you are shooting trooper and get outside assistance, you will be bumped out of Trooper class.

6 AR mags (I've used up to 4 on a stage + 2 back up)

100-120 rounds of pistol ammunition, I used Glock 30 rounders in trooper class, I carry 4 of these and a couple regular 17+2s ( I used all 4 30 rounders on one stage last year)

40-50 shot shells, 5-10 slugs (or more if the stage requires), and 10 rounds of buck shot for double spinners and difficult steel.

The vest and belt set up I use I put together specifically with Ironman in mind.

A TT MAV would be a good choice, get either SOB tripple shingles, or TT tripple shingles. Get 3 Gun Gear MOLLE compatible shot shell holders to put on tob of the AR mag pouches. a seperate pistol belt with your pistol mags, shot shell dump pouch, and drop leg rig (so vest doesn't interfere with draw) is the way to go. When running gear on your pants belt or pistol belt get some suspenders to wear with it. If using a seperate pistol belt, get some belt keepers to tie it into your pants belt.