Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need A Good Website For Tool Reviews

OK, I know that this isn't close to any shooting related question, hence the post location; but I could use some help spending some money. I need some new tools (who doesn't?). I need a framing nailer, a roofing nailer, a hammer drill and a belt sander. I could spend enough on these to set up a nice used limted gun, but spend too much time shooting already and have some projects that need to get done.

Can anyone recomend a couple of good web sites that do tool reviews. I could just go to the local hardware store, but I am a research before I buy kind of guy and could use a push in the right direction from my online friends.

Yes, I know it is a strange request, but there has to be some tool junkies on this web site - thanks guys.

Rick

Amazon.com usually has helpful reviews for most of the products they sell (or someone sells through their Marketplace deal), and it seems like you can buy just about anything there these days... Not quite as big as eBay, but they are getting there.

Depending on how you feel about used, you might also look for a chain of stores called ReTool --- they buy and sell used tools. I've gotten good deals on stuff used once or twice by weekend warriors, and on stuff that was hard used by pros....

Rick,

Been a carpenter forever, let me give you my personal review of the tools you mentioned. What are you looking to do with them? More homeowner stuff or are you looking for good quality that will last?

!. Framing nailers- Get either a Paslode or a Senco. We use paslode at work and they are damn near indestructable. The senco gives you are few more features, like depth of drive, that sort of thing. Watch where you buy. Manards, home Depot, Lowes does not carry the models that we use in the trades. They are more homeowner geared in this department.

2. Roofing nailers, Seems like all we see is Bostich. I have three of them, if I were to replace them it would be bostich again.

3. Hammer Drill- Either Bosch, Dewalt, or Htachi. Six of one and half a dozen of the other. We have each of them at work and they are all good. Depending once again on use, get one with a SDS chuck. The bits are more expensive, but better off in the long run.

4. Belt sander- Porter Cable, end of discussion. Have never seen any other brand on any jobsite, ever. There 3x21 sander is the industry standard.

Amazon. com probably has the best prices. You can get some of these at local ABC supplys. Or any contractor place.

Tom

Edited by Tom Mainus

Rick,

I disagree with Tom on a couple,

1.Framing nailers/staplers I've found the the Paslode and Senco are good and the nails are easily found. If I was going back into carpentry the Duo-Fast nailers/staplers are the ones. The nails are a little harder to find but if you buy them by the pallet they cost much less. In the 80's if you bought a pallet of nails they would give you a nailer. We tried them all and the Duo-Fast required the least amount of rebuild or parts. We used more than 16 daily on big projects.

3. Bosch or Milwuakee, the bigger the better (1 1/2). Personally I hate the SDS system, but it is ok.

I did mainly light commercial and residental work and I've seen my share of tools fail. Don't be cheap when buying equipment. It my seem your getting a deal but in the long run you will end up having to buy another one. The guy's always liked working on my jobs because I bought the best equipment and they make the work easier. Tools are to be used not abused.

Rich

One more thing ear protection use them, it is very easy to loose your hearing running nail guns and hammer drills and eye protection. The sound of a nail gun is more damaging to your hearing than the sound of a gun shot.

Edited by RIIID

Thanks for the comments everyone. E53X5, I've already spent a couple of hours on Amizon - thanks for the link. I also found this one if you are interested: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/articles/sh...rticle&partID=1

Tom and Rich thanks for the insight from someone in the bizz. I hate buying something cheap and then buying another one in a year. That's why I like to do the research on the front end. The above sight picks the Hitachi framers as their top pick for a heavy duty gun. Either of you have experience with these (NR83A2)? Thought about the Paslode impulse (gas cartridge) but the cycle rate seems slower and they have less power, but they would also be great for building tree stands out in the woods.

Thought of the Hitachi roofer too. Seems like quality stuff.

Of the reviews that I have been reading for a good belt sander the Makita and Porter Cable seem to always be at the top so thanks for confirming the Porter cable units Tom.

Besides word of mouth anyone have any test reports from solid web sites? Want the consumer Reports of the tool industry that is somewhat independant and not just saying what their advertisers want them to say - which is difficult in the gun rags and in any publication that sells advertising.

Tom, goodluck with the Shoot at Schultz's this weekend - looks like it will be a nice day.

Thanks again guys,

Rick

Rick:

I don't buy all of my tools here but because I am a remodeler/cabinet maker I have a need over time for almost any type of tool you can name. Sure I have my favorites on the tools I use most often but I have picked up some incredible deals at Grizzly and have never bought anything yet that I wasn't pleased with or prematurely crapped out.

Just another reference source to keep in mind.

http://www.grizzly.com/

Edited by Doggorloader

Rick,

Fine Home Building mag. used to do good tool comparison tests. I don't know if you can get old articals on the web..

If Hitachi is still using the stamped out steel nail magazine stay away. They can get bent out of shape easily and can cause the gun to miss feed. Make sure the nail gun you go with will use the larger diameter nails.

Rich

Bought the Hitachi NR83A2 off of Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Bought the Porter cable 363VSK from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...cator/index.jsp

The other nailer and rotary hammer drill will come a little later. On the drill this Hitachi seemed to kick rear in this report: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/articles/sh...rticle&partID=1

Thanks again for the links guys,

Rick

Thanks for all of the help again, guys -