Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambidextrous Mag Release

yoshidaex

not sure if this subject was brought up before but here goes...

how many manufacturers of ambidextrous magazine release are there for the 1911 style of guns.

i know of smith and alexander who makes them for the 1911 along with one for the para ordnance. cylinder and slide makes one also. is there anyone else?

can someone post pics of how they look or supposed to operate?

thanks

small hands...... i can't tell from the pics on brownells how the ambi mag release actually work. the S&A one looks like if you press the ugly little button on the right, the mag drops out. but how does the C&S one work?

small hands...... i can't tell from the pics on brownells how the ambi mag release actually work. the S&A one looks like if you press the ugly little button on the right, the mag drops out. but how does the C&S one work?

It works with a small pivioting lip that cams out of the way and lets the mag fall. I used one for 9years on my singal stack gun. It broke at 9 years old and S&A sent me a new one very quick. It was a very good item. /the SA will work left or right side

You can get one direct from them if you do a search on the web. I am not certain if by IPSC rules if you can use a true ambri mag release though

I had /Have a right side mag drop for a STI wide body that ??? I forgot his name but I think he will be a Double Tap = any way he makes one for the STI that only drope from one side. = it has a small tap that holds the mag. ?I think??? it lets the mag 'jump' up when the 170 is used full and caused my slide to drag. + it wroked fine for mags with just 15 rounds in them though and I used it for 3 years with good luck untill I tryed IPSC and filled the mags and I could not find the jam problem.

SO I am back to a 'Normal" mag release.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I had /Have a right side mag drop for a STI wide body that ??? I forgot his name but I think he will be a Double Tap = any way he makes one for the STI that only drope from one side. = it has a small tap that holds the mag. ?I think??? it lets the mag 'jump' up when the 170 is used full and caused my slide to drag. + it wroked fine for mags with just 15 rounds in them though and I used it for 3 years with good luck untill I tryed IPSC and filled the mags and I could not find the jam problem.

Was it Jimmy Mitchell from Breckenridge. He makes a nice one.

http://www.bulletworks.com/Mag_catch.html

Was it Jimmy Mitchell from Breckenridge. He makes a nice one.

http://www.bulletworks.com/Mag_catch.html

Thats! HIM!

And he is a very nice guy, I feal like a dip for only remembering part of his name.

He will tell you that you "may" have problems with a big stick mag, = the one i had worked fine for over 3 years

Steve J: would you happen to know if a ambi mag release or a right side only like the mitchell is legal for IDPA in CDP and ESP classes? would it legal for single stack class in uspsa? or any uspsa class for that matter.

TIA

Steve J: would you happen to know if a ambi mag release or a right side only like the mitchell is legal for IDPA in CDP and ESP classes? would it legal for single stack class in uspsa? or any uspsa class for that matter.

TIA

As far as I know it should be legal in both because it's not prohibited. Ambi-safety is allowed - why not an ambi-mag release, though it's far less common.

The size is not an issue in 1911 Single Stack Division as extended magazine releases are allowed without any stated size restrictions.

In IDPA (both CDP and ESP) it will have to meet the following size restriction:

Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

It's been a couple of years since I saw one of Jimmy's on a 1911, so I don't really recall the size. It was, however, at a single stack challenge match held by an IDPA club in North Texas, and they would not let him compete with it on his gun, so it might not meet the IDPA size limitation. I dont' recall it being any larger than a normal mag release, but it does stick out on both sides of the frame. If it's no more than 0.2 on each side, it should be ok.

Jimmy should be able to tell you for sure if it is IDPA legal. I did the redesign work for Jimmy on the current version, but I am not at the computer that has the design files. However, the left side only sticks out the thickness of a thin washer and a #6 button head cap screw. The right side is very close to the stock dimension of a standard release.

It is currently available for S_I, Para, and 1911's. (We never got around to working on the Caspian version.)

Kenny

wow. now i have options. maybe i'll buy one of each and try them all out in my test gun.

by the way, did i mention this forum and the members here are very helpful?

thanks for all the help.

now only if i can browse this forum without being caught at work.....

I gave up trying to use the ambi release from S&A on my Para. My problem is the way I grip the gun will release the mag when the standard button brushes against my left hand. Went to an ambi release with the left side ground flat. Then I started hitting the button accidentally with my index finger. Started using a heavier and heavier spring until it wouldn't accidentally release. Then I couldn't get the mag out with my trigger finger consistantly. So I'm back using a standard mag release with a extra heavy spring.

Wish I could have the paddle style release on the HK pistols.

Jimmy Mitchell actually gave me a call and went into details how his design works. Very friendly and a wealth of knowledge. I may end up buying his product.

Scooter: The S&A ambi mag catch you bought, did you have to modify your frame a tiny bit? I came across a old S&A catalog (not sure how old) and saw the mag catch required a small channel to be made close to where the mag catch lock slot is. Their website says no modification to outside of frame. sneaky.... not true drop in i assume.

SteveJ: Thanks for the rules clarification. Jimmy did say the size of the button and the amount it protrudes from the gun is identical to a left side release. Considering the RO/SO stands on the right rear of me during a COF i'm sure they're gonna see it and say something. Thats when i'll bring the digital calipers out and show them it measures the same as a left side release.....

Edited by yoshidaex

It's definitely not a drop in. You have to cut a slot and also drill and tap a hole in the frame for a set screw. The set screw thing was stupid since you can hear it grind against the mag tube when you insert a mag. I manage to work around the set screw. My advice is to not spend the $100 for one.

I am a lefty and use a smith and alexander ambi mag release.

They are legal for ipsc and idpa

The cylinder and slide one is, in my opinion, not worth it. It is cheaper, but thats because it is partially plastic. I bought one from midwayusa and sent it back.

Jimmy Mitchell has one but it is not ambi, it just allows the button to be pushed in on the right side of the gun with no button one the left side.

Redwoods

i picked one up from Jimmy, and i have to say the ingenuity is there in such a small piece. at this point i have no need for one on the left side now. i can actually do a mag change without shifting my grip. i don't accidentally drop a mag either when i'm handling the gun. i'm gonna use it at the next idpa/uspsa match i go to and show it to a few people. see what they say as far as legality. if they say okay, i'll be buying 5 more. :D