Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Ipsc Match

rubberneck

I finally took the plunge yesterday after talking a good game for the past year and shot my first IPSC match. It was for the most part a very good experience.

The Good:

-Was forced way out of my comfort zone. After shooting IDPA for the past several years I had fallen in the trap of thinking that I knew exactly what my strength's and weakness were. I found out yesterday how wrong I was. That alone the price of admission.

-It was nice to shoot outdoors after a long winter inside even though it was cold as heck with the wind chill yesterday.

The bad:

-On the very first stage of the day the second shooter drew before turning up range and I found myslef staring down the barrel of the guys gun with his finger in the trigger guard. :blink: Everyone in the squad, including the SO saw it yet the shooter was not DQ'd. I guess it pays to be squadded with a bunch of shooting buddies. Needless to say It took me a good 10 minutes to calm down (both from the shock of being swept and anger that he was allowed to get away with it). Once I settled back in I had a really good time but I am still a bit sour that they let it slide. I suppose I should have raised a stink but I got the feeling that it wouldn't have made a difference other than to make it uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

Despite that single mishap I really enjoyed myself and plan to shoot IPSC more often.

I have had the same thing happen, however the shooter was DQ'd.

I would talk to the MD and to everyone else that has authority AT THE MATCH. I would not run off and scream bloody murder to the club. It may be that as you said, it pays to be squadded with "buddies". The MD needs to know that he safety rules are not being enforced. If someting as obvious as this is allowed to slide, what about the rest of the rules?

First and foremost is the safety or lack thereof that needs to be addressed. After that there is the competition that needs to be addressed. If the same squad decides not to ding for foot faults or extra shots, it screws the squads that follow the rules as well as screwing the shooters on that squad that may someday shoot at a match where the rules are followed.

But first get the MD to be aware of the safety issues. This could have a major negative impact on all shooting everywher, but especially at your club.

Jim Norman

+1 on the MD.

Plus... as the "area director", I'm very interested in making sure that the clubs in "my" area run things according to the "real rules". If the club where this happened is in Area-1 (northwestern US), please let me know. I suspect any of the other AD's would like to hear about it if it was in their area, too.

We (USPSA) have a *very* good safety record, largely due to our "belt and suspenders" approach to safety. It really takes a series of "bad things" to happen together before someone is truely unsafe. If you were looking up the muzzle of a loaded gun, with a finger inside the trigger guard... I'd say that that series of things had gone too far.

Bottom line, let us (USPSA) know. We want to help, and... it helps all of us.

Bruce

I really can't believe the shooter was not DQ'ed. I know that I have shot at probably 15 different clubs for local matches and no way would this had ever went on. At some of the club there might have been a questionable 180 break, maybe 181 for it was hard to tell from back in the crowd. The RO just gave him a warning about making sure he didn't break 180 and told the shooter that he was extremely close. This was a local match and the RO might have cut the guy some slack but from my position I couldn't say for sure.

But in this case.........no way. Send the guy packing and send the RO packing with him if he didn't call it. I wouldn't have let this go at all.

I personally still wouldn't let this slide. I enjoy shooting Uspsa too much and if something like this would happen and someone was shot or worse, killed, I can't even imagine what would happen.

RO credentials revoked????

Flyin40

I finally took the plunge yesterday after talking a good game for the past year and shot my first IPSC match. It was for the most part a very good experience.

The Good:

-Was forced way out of my comfort zone. After shooting IDPA for the past several years I had fallen in the trap of thinking that I knew exactly what my strength's and weakness were. I found out yesterday how wrong I was. That alone the price of admission.

-It was nice to shoot outdoors after a long winter inside even though it was cold as heck with the wind chill yesterday.

The bad:

-On the very first stage of the day the second shooter drew before turning up range and I found myslef staring down the barrel of the guys gun with his finger in the trigger guard. :blink: Everyone in the squad, including the SO saw it yet the shooter was not DQ'd. I guess it pays to be squadded with a bunch of shooting buddies. Needless to say It took me a good 10 minutes to calm down (both from the shock of being swept and anger that he was allowed to get away with it). Once I settled back in I had a really good time but I am still a bit sour that they let it slide. I suppose I should have raised a stink but I got the feeling that it wouldn't have made a difference other than to make it uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

Despite that single mishap I really enjoyed myself and plan to shoot IPSC more often.

You should have spoken up. The RO should have DQ'd him. Talk to the match director before you shoot at the club again!

I'll make a calculated guess that it's a club somewhere around or near PA. If so that would mean a club in Area 8. You might consider sending the A8 Director, George Jones a PM. I'm sure he'd be interested in the details.

Edited by ima45dv8

Thanks guys. In retrospect I should have said something to the MD after the match but both I and the guy I shot with were just looking to get home. I should have known better. As an IDPA SO I would have run the guy for much less and in fact have on a couple occassions.

I just guess I was just looking to have a good time and since the entire squad (including the two RO's) with the exception of my friend and myself were buddies from the same club I got the feeling that it wouldn't have been well received with the rest of the squad if I went to the MD to complain.

I guess I'll shoot the MD and George Jones a quick e-mail later in the week detailing my experience. As you guys have pointed out I am sure they will address the issue seriously.