Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interchangable Uppers

speed

Anybody have any opinion on swithing uppers on pistols. I'm thinking instead of building a whole new pistol- just build another upper (new sti slide & barrell fitted)and keep same frame. 38 super open to a 38 super limited. any advice? I am assuming that a new slide will fit my existing frame(both sti) as far as width. But for the height I will probably have to file slide to fit. Didn't get new slide yet so I'm for now curious to see if anybody has done this.

I had it done once.

I had an open 9x21 upper and .40 limited upper to a STI frame. I had the slides accru-railed to ensure interchangability.

It worked OK, I always felt it was a waste of half a pistol after I did it.

For what it cost for fitting both to one, I could have spent another $500 for a complete lower and had TWO pistols!

I would not do it again.

+1 on the 'pony up another $500 and get a whole nother gun'. I've had a couple switch-uppers and never used them enough.

It's worth it just so if one breaks you have something else to shoot, or something else to sell if you need cash. Taking a scope on and off all the time (unless you go with a Doctor-type sight) can be a nuisance as well. 1911 slides and frames go best fitted one to one and wearing in as a pair.

Where are you getting a complete gunsmith fitted lower for $500.00 w/all parts?

It's about the difference I was quoted between a complete gun and a new upper fitted onto an existing frame while keeping the existing slide fit (guess the smith didn't really want to do that), though I actually did most of the lower work myself, barring barrel fit and ramp cut, on a frame I won, so it was cheap :)

My one & a half gun was build in the 1995,

At that time I had my FFL, so parts were bought wholesale. Both slides had to accu-railed, so fitting to another frame was probably an additional $80. I'm capable of doing my own trigger job & liked Krebs magwells at the time. $500 additional was pretty close to what was needed for two guns instead of 1 & 1/2.

My point is that pistols are a big expense, and a half gun laying around was a waste of money for me. It seemed like a good idea at the time.