Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm G35 Questions

bp78

I've searched through some threads about 9mm G35s and have a few questions. You can convert the g35 to 9mm but not convert the g34 to .40sw. Makes sense for the slide/barrel diameter fit.

Is a G35 with a 9mm barrel IDPA legal?

The least expensive barrel sounds like a 'Federal' around $60?

For most of you, all you have to swap is the barrel and magazines for the change? Extractor & recoil spring work for both .40 & 9mm?

Is a G35 9mm conversion any less reliable than a G34?

thanks.

I think the reliability question is a 50/50. Yes, for some it is just as reliable, but theres always the X factor that the extractor, ejector, slide/breechface of a G35 are not for 9mm, so there is the chance it won't work.

The IDPA questions I dont know, I dont shoot IDPA.

As far as the cheapest barrel for a G35, I dont know the cheapest, but only what I have used. I would watch the "cheapest" idea, cause if it shoots like crap, you havent saved any money at all, probably spent more of it. I have a KKM, Barsto, Glock factory barrels currently in various Glocks and all are very accurate and 100% reliable.

I also had a Jarvis about 10 years ago and it was also very reliable and super accurate.

Just a guess but with no support of the breechface on the case [opposite from the extractor] I think you're going to find that the "converted" 9mm G35 needs a lot of help from the rounds in the mag & the mag spring pushing them for that combo to have any sort of reliable ejection.

Shoot the gun with a full mag 100 times & you might have no jams. Shoot the gun with an empty mag [one in the chamber] the same 100 times & I bet you get more than one jam.

If you already have the G35 then you could convert the whole top end [at a reasonable cost] by purchasing a police trade-in G17. The ejectors are very easy to swap out, or you could just shoot the G17 since there's not much modifications you can do in Prod anyway.

The G35 with a 9mm barrel is not legal for any IDPA class.

A caliber conversion is specifically excluded in SSP but not ESP. Unless I am missing something you could run a G35 with a 9MM in ESP. Personally I would rather shoot 40 loaded to a minor pf than a 9MM. YMMV.

Rubber, I think it my be one of those "email" rules. I too much prefer a .40 over a 9mm. I use my 9mm conversion barrel for cheap practice. I have a 9mm load that duplicates the feel of my .40 load.