Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion 550a?

Is there such a critter as a 550 or 550A. Mine is an old one and is missing pieces. Also has anyone fabricated a longer case infeed tray for this loader. My hands are kinda big and its hard to get cases in there sometimes. OH btw im new here.. Howdy!!!

Thanks

Welcome James,

Firstly have you got a Dillon RL550 instruction manual, go on line, get one. This will tell you what parts are missing, contact Dillon and get those parts. Get machine working.

There is a RL550 without the B, early model, some changes but nothing that can't be handled by Dillon. All parts are replaceable if obsolete.

Nothing to help with the "feed tray". As you become familiar with the machine you will get a handle on it.

I talked to Dillon's tech support last weekend, and the rep told me the 550 B has been the current model for a long time. I don't remember exactly when he said it was introduced, but I think it was in the 80s.

I talked to Dillon's tech support last weekend, and the rep told me the 550 B has been the current model for a long time. I don't remember exactly when he said it was introduced, but I think it was in the 80s.

I remember getting an older 550 and it was missing the low primer sensor as well as the bar under the shellplate platform that guided the powder measure failsafe rod as well as the failsafe rod. I think the older ones did not have those features.

The 550 was the predecessor to the 550-B the 550-B model simply had the low primer warning sensor, and the fail-safe rod added to it. I had an early model 550. Mine also had longer toolhead locking pins, which interfered with the die lock rings a little. Dillon offered to send me new locking pins, and the fail-safe rod for the powder system, but said if I wanted a low-primer warning system, I would have to buy it (which I did).

The 550 was the predecessor to the 550-B the 550-B model simply had the low primer warning sensor, and the fail-safe rod added to it. I had an early model 550. Mine also had longer toolhead locking pins, which interfered with the die lock rings a little. Dillon offered to send me new locking pins, and the fail-safe rod for the powder system, but said if I wanted a low-primer warning system, I would have to buy it (which I did).

There was a guy on the AR15 board with a link to an auction he won off Ebay. On that 550 press there was no powder failsafe linkage to the powder measure and the arm (bellcrank?) of the powder measure had no place for the failsafe rod even. So the earlier powder measures were different as well.

• 4 weeks later...

The 550 has different link arms and link arm pin and a couple of other very minor things not mentioned that I don't recall off the top of my head. I'd have to compare my 500 manual with a 550B manual.

You can send the 500 back to Dillon and they will rebuild it for free, the only cost would be for missing or abused parts if that.

Dillon is all about customer service.

Edited by CenTX

It doesent say 550b but it does have the failsafe attachment and the low primer buzzer.

The parts I needed I either made or ordered. Thanks a bunch guys!! Ive loaded several hundred .40 rounds and I love this thing. Did I mention it was FREE!!!!

Thanks again!