Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xl650 And Federal Small Primers

I tried the small Fed match primers a while back and the anvils seemed to sit too high and cause occasional tipping of the primers ( I had some help from Dillon's tech line with this ) causing the shell plate to bind and the indexer to break.

Switched to Win. primers , zero problems in the press , occasional 100 FPS dips in velocity.

I have a light spring , I like it .

I wanna use Fed primers.

Help ?

Travis F.

I can't see what the problem is, in the last 7 years or so I have loaded in excess of 200,000 rounds of mainly 38super plus 9mm and 38Special all with Federal Small Pistol Primers in a XL650 with very few problems. None associated with high anvils, mainly just dirty parts or lack of maintenance.

Some of these, 15,000+ I think, would have been Small Pistol Match (GM100).

Check how clean the machine is in the shellplate area and start again.

Just because the Winchester (or any other primer for that matter) work fine, that does not mean something is not amiss.

I know many people who load Fed Small (Match or Reg.) on a 650 with no problems. I load on a 550 with Fed Small Pistol & Small Rifle no prob. I do however know that there is a slight diff. in height in Small Pistol vs. Small Rifle. 100 Small Rifle primers will sit flush with the top of a Dillon pickup tube, while only 99 Small Pistol Primers sit flush with the top of the tube. This is with the pull-pin installed and the pickup cap removed. How I found this out is I use a Franford Arsenal Vibra-Pime Tube filler.

Travis,

Could it be a problem with your brass? I seem to have problems with S&B having small or dirty primer holes. I was having problems with the Federal primer occasionally not seating fully. I cull that brass now, don't seem to see that problem very often now.

I would look to brass as the problem.

FWIW

dj

Thanks for the quick replies !

Not a brass issue, the problem occurs before the primers make it to the case.

I am hoping to get this sorted out soon, glad to know others are having good luck with these primers.

Travis F.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who replied to this thread !

Tried a different batch of standard Fed. primers yesterday AM , 600 rounds zero problems.

I have not measured the other batch of primers, but for now I'm declaring them officially evil.

WOOHOO !

Travis F.