Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullets 200gr Rnfp For Single Stack Guns

Zerwas

I did a search on this subject, and a few items popped up but,,,, I'm wondering how many of you folks out there us the Precision 200gr RNFP (round nose flat point) in a single stack gun.

I use a Wilson CQB 5", and I typically used a 200 gr LSWC and 5.0-5.2gr VVN320.

This round nose flat point is something that is new to me, as well as the coated bullets.

I got some good information from the search function on the moly coated bullets, so I'm not looking so much for information on that.

I guess I'm looking for information more or less on your experiences with this particular Precision bullet and whatever powder you are using as well as the overall length that seems to work best for reliability.

I have been using them for a while. I'm loading them with 5.0 gr. WST at 1.220" COL. I have been through 30K of his old style and 15K of the new in one gun with no problems. I liked the way the old style cut a hole in the target like a SWC but he doesn't make that style any more.

I forgot to add that when I switch from his old style 200 grain to the new I had to bump up the powder .2 grains to keep it above 165 PF. If I remember right, they come in at 168 with 5.0 WST. I could get away with 4.8 WST with the old style bullet.

This bullet is heavily used by cowboy action shooting SASS, I have used the 158 grain lrnfp with titegroup and and trailboss there is alot of info/ history when loaded 45 colt or 45 schofield. Have not seen much on 45acp. clays with this bullet also used alot. you might see what has been said on www.sassnet.com All load data has been cleaned from that site. I have been cleaning barrels for two years and use kroil. Since it is 100% coated little no leading and lead smoke not there up to 1400 fps. have wondered about 45acp.

I keep hearing good things about Clays,,,one of these days I'll have to give that a try in place of my beloved VVN320...

How is Clays price wise to VV?

Just like all other powders, it's way cheaper. :) Gun store price will be about $16-18 for a pound, and it's about $100 (plus hazmat and shipping) for an eight pound jug from on-line stores.

Remember that Clays is faster than VV320, pretty close to VV310. Also, Clays is one of three powders in a series from Hodgdon - "straight" Clays is what everyone here talks about, then there's "International Clays" which is about the same speed as Green Dot, and "Universal Clays" which is about the same speed as Unique.

Mixed brass w/Winchester primers - Clays - around 4.5 or 4.6 @ 1.250. 168-171pf.

Ok Merlin,,,here goes. I just picked up some Clays today,,,I'll give it a try. I'd bet I'll like it. Were you getting that PF from a 5" 1911?

I'm shooting a Wilson CQB (or CBQ depending on who you talk too...... :blink: )

TRP. My 5" SS has an STI barrel. I would start at 4.2 or 4.3 and go on from there.. I will trumpet praise for Clays wherever a conversation starts regarding loads for the .45 ACP.

As always, Be careful with my load data or you might put your eye out. ;)

Thats good to hear. I will indeed start out a little low and work my way up to 165.5 PF :D .

I'm looking foreword to see if there is a noticable difference in the Clays VS VVN320.

I'll let ya'll know (unless of course you already know..)