Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cant Angle

kruger

When shooting with only one hand on the pistol, do you cant the gun?

How much do you cant the gun?

...and the all important question: Why?

Why I'm asking: I was practicing my weak hand shooting at the range yesterday and I noticed that I cant my weak hand more than my strong hand. With the weak hand I had about a 40 degree cant. With my strong hand, I had about a 30 degree cant. I noticed that with cant that I normally use, the sights were tracking straight away from and back to the notch. With the gun straight up and down the sights track at an angle away from my hand. This seemed interesting and I was wondering what other folks see...

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

Have you ever Choked the crap out of someone that realy needit? :D

Well Your wrist forarm and elbow all get 'locked up" when you make a small inward twist.

If you tryed to crush a plastic bottel full of water = you will find that you end up turning the hand in as a 'Cant'. You can practice you shooting stance with bottel of water and let your trigger finger float.

The Cant in what I call an --Old School-- thing If I practices one hand shooting I may stop doing it , but until i practice more it does seam to help.

How much? depends on your practice.

Jamie

When shooting with only one hand on the pistol, do you cant the gun?

How much do you cant the gun?

...and the all important question: Why?

Why I'm asking: I was practicing my weak hand shooting at the range yesterday and I noticed that I cant my weak hand more than my strong hand. With the weak hand I had about a 40 degree cant. With my strong hand, I had about a 30 degree cant. I noticed that with cant that I normally use, the sights were tracking straight away from and back to the notch. With the gun straight up and down the sights track at an angle away from my hand. This seemed interesting and I was wondering what other folks see...

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

Shooting strong hand, I cant only slightly, maybe to 11:00. Shooting weak hand, I cant more, perhaps to 2:00, and the main reason is to bring the sights in line with my dominant eye.

Andy C.

I do it for the "Gangsta" look. B)

Just kidding.

I cant the gun when shooting one handed because I want to keep as much body/arm alignment as possible. When shooting with two hands you have resisting force coming in from the right and left rear of the gun and that force helps with controlling the recoil of the gun. When shooting with one hand I like to get as much resisting force behind the gun as possible so this requires me to align my gun, arm, and body. When I align all these to shoot with one hand I must can't the gun for two reasons; 1- To get the sights in front of my eye. 2- To get a better grip on the gun. These were both mentioned in separate previous posts but both are involved it the purpose for the cant.

Take a look at my avitar and see the arm alignment while holding the gun vertically. If she puts the gun in better alignment with her arm and the arm in better alignment with her body then she'll have to cant the gun to get to the sights.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

You might find that if you curl down your thumb [rather than leave it on the thumb safety] that it brings the gun around to your eye better. I like to turn my head to the left some and cant the gun less because of that. Maybe 15 degrees.

You might find that if you curl down your thumb [rather than leave it on the thumb safety] that it brings the gun around to your eye better. I like to turn my head to the left some and cant the gun less because of that. Maybe 15 degrees.

I've tried that. Knocked my safety on. Didn't try it again. ;)

I do it for the "Gangsta" look. B)

Just kidding.

I cant the gun when shooting one handed because I want to keep as much body/arm alignment as possible. When shooting with two hands you have resisting force coming in from the right and left rear of the gun and that force helps with controlling the recoil of the gun. When shooting with one hand I like to get as much resisting force behind the gun as possible so this requires me to align my gun, arm, and body. When I align all these to shoot with one hand I must can't the gun for two reasons; 1- To get the sights in front of my eye. 2- To get a better grip on the gun. These were both mentioned in separate previous posts but both are involved it the purpose for the cant.

Take a look at my avitar and see the arm alignment while holding the gun vertically. If she puts the gun in better alignment with her arm and the arm in better alignment with her body then she'll have to cant the gun to get to the sights.

+1.

Well said, Daniel.

Edited by ima45dv8

I look at your avatar, Daniel, and I don't see the gun... :P

How about grip strength? I was thinking, I don't want to overpower the gun, but I do only have one hand on it. Do you take a firmer grip w/ the one hand on the gun?

I look at your avatar, Daniel, and I don't see the gun... :P

How about grip strength? I was thinking, I don't want to overpower the gun, but I do only have one hand on it. Do you take a firmer grip w/ the one hand on the gun?

I concentrate on pushing in towards my fingers with the heel of my hand into the backstrap/mainspring housing rather than squeezing with my fingers. I have found that this helps to keep me from milking the gun.

Is there anyone who *doesn't* cant the pistol when shooting weak-handed? :(

I'm really struggling when I shoot with my left (I'm RH), and canting seemed to make problems worse. Shots hit low-right.

I don't think bullseye shooters cant, when they use their strong-hand?

They don't shoot modern ISO either.

Bullseye shooters have a different set of constraints. There is plenty of time to reaquire the sights in bullseye (well, at least from my perspective), so if the front sight doesn't return to the notch immediately, it doesn't matter as much. Also, if the sights are zeroed for a particular distance while the gun is vertical, the sights are not going to be zeroed if the gun is canted. For the distances and target sizes shot in action sports like USPSA and IDPA, this isn't that much of a concern. In bullseye this is a problem.

Life is a series of nonlinear multivariable optimization problems. :)

Different constraints... different optimal solutions.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

They don't shoot "Fast" either.

OK - I think I see where y'all are going....

But if, say, you were strictly trying for accuracy with the weak-hand...would you cant? I'm presuming the only reason for this is to address recoil, and the follow-up shots?

This stinks -- I finally got to where I could hit the A-zone consistently, shooting weak-hand only, by NOT canting, and now I need to go back. :wacko:

OK - I think I see where y'all are going....

But if, say, you were strictly trying for accuracy with the weak-hand...would you cant? I'm presuming the only reason for this is to address recoil, and the follow-up shots?

This stinks -- I finally got to where I could hit the A-zone consistently, shooting weak-hand only, by NOT canting, and now I need to go back. :wacko:

For me, canting the gun is less about controlling recoil and more about getting a good sight picture by having my eye and the sights in good alignment, and getting that good sight picture without a lot of stress in my body. When I cant the gun it allows me to align not only the visual aspect, the mechanical by having my arm and wrist in a more natural position.

With only one hand on the gun it's going to recoil. Straight up or at an angle isn't a big issue for me.

It's cool if not canting the gun works for you. Try it, see if it's better for you, and then you can make an informed decision on what style best fits you.