Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Primers On 650

I have problems with high primers on my 650

I have tried evrything the manual says about high primers

I am reloading 38 spes Starline brass and Federal primers

I have just replaced the primer seater assembly

Any idea what I can do :blink:

Call Dillon? Talk to another shooter in your area that has a 650 and have them come over and look at your machine and how you load? I hope you get it figured out, it is a good machine and it is frustrating when you have these problems! DougC

If the primer seating punch is completely threaded into the underside of the platform, then either you are not pushing forward on the handle sufficiently or the shellplate bolt is too loose. Without cases in the shellplate, push the handle forward and see how high the primer is pushed. It is possible you have cracked the crank assembly, but not very likely. :ph34r:

I was doing some maintenance when I changed caliber to 38 spes

I was removing spent primers and powder from the primer punch assambly,

and I simply put the punch support bracket the wrong way :wub:

oooops :) my mistake

so I got 100 rounds 38 with high primers

PLEASE, don't try to seat the primers deeper on the loaded cartridges! there is a definite risk of primer ignition to do so! :o What happens is powder leaks through the flash hole, filling the cavity between the top of the primer and the inside of the primer pocket. If you seat the primer, the powder can compress the anvil against the priming compound and go "Boom"!

I know of at least one customer that did this, shooting the size die out of the top of the machine, plus gas burns on his face. :huh::blink::o:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

When I first got my 650, I wasn't careful, and the punch assembly wasn't tight against the bottom of the carrier. Result= high primers. There may have been something in the threads, but regardless of the reason, make sure the punch assembly is in there all the way.