Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing Barrels

AzShooter

Can a Model 27 barrel be easily put on a model 627. What are the main modifications, if any other than enlarging the ejector housing since the barrel will be a little higher than normal?

Is that a difference in the threads?

I'm trying to add a little more sight radius compared tomy 5 inch current gun.

Can a Model 27 barrel be easily put on a model 627. What are the main modifications, if any other than enlarging the ejector housing since the barrel will be a little higher than normal?

Is that a difference in the threads?

I'm trying to add a little more sight radius compared tomy 5 inch current gun.

I believe we covered that awhile back in this forum......the 27 will screw right onto the

627 PC frame, you'll need ball detents and have tohog out the underlug for clearance like

you stated above.

I did it with a 6.5 model 28 barrel, here's a couple pic's.

Nice looking grips Dave, who made those?

:D:D I have to laugh, if you saw them in person you wouldn't be so kind.

The grips are from the Hogue Auction site, Rnd butt to Square butt conversion grips that

I've whittled away at to a configuration I like at the moment.

They were pretty large when I first got them so removing material was not a problem.

We'll see how they work this year as I just removed some more material before those pic's

were taken.

In my quest for the perfect grip I also started whittling on a Hogue grip. I used to have a Nylon version of the popular rubber hogue grip with finger grooves.

The I grip/stock was developed over a peroid of two years.

After all my cutting and shaping, to my suprise I ended up with a grip I used to call the "pickle".

At the time the Miculek grip just came out. I measure my grip and the Miculek grip and saw that I had fashioned my stock VERY similar in shape and contour. Hmmm..Small world I guess.

I have since purchased a Miculek grip. I like the look of a wood finished grip.

Just me,

Renny

In my quest for the perfect grip I also started whittling on a Hogue grip. I used to have a Nylon version of the popular rubber hogue grip with finger grooves.

The I grip/stock was developed over a peroid of two years.

After all my cutting and shaping, to my suprise I ended up with a grip I used to call the "pickle".

At the time the Miculek grip just came out. I measure my grip and the Miculek grip and saw that I had fashioned my stock VERY similar in shape and contour. Hmmm..Small world I guess.

I have since purchased a Miculek grip. I like the look of a wood finished grip.

Just me,

Renny

I "sorta" like the Miculak grip..... after I modifiy it.

For me the "butt" portion is too deep, or maybe the area behind the trigger guard is too

small, but I always find myself grinding of the bottom portion. And they seem too skinny !

I just got a new pair on a revo I just bought and they are approx .05 thicker than 2 other

pairs I have, and the thicker ones feel better.

I had the chance to "fondle" a bunch of grips at the IRC and was glad I did, they all feel

different but most felt too big, much like the above grip was when I bought it.

I found a pair of big butt grips with checkering and the size was just right, probably

the only pair of grips I own with the least amount of dremel work :P

Doh !! there's that D word !!

Hi Ya'll,

I have just recently had a model 27 barrel installed on my 627 and it works very well. Matter of fact it is the most accurate of my 8 shooters. Don Golembieski at Kodiak Precision did the work and I think all he had to do was turn the o.d. of the forcing cone part of the barrel so it would clear the bottom side of the top strap. It turned up straight and works perfectly. The ejector rod actually cleared the shroud but it was close, so I got in there with the moto tool and ground it out any way.

Rob

Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately the 8 3/8th barrel fell through but I did find a 6 inch. I think that the extra one inch sight radius will help these old eyes. I don't want to put a dot on.