Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding A Balance Between Speed And Accuracy

CSEMARTIN

I apologize if this has been covered or thought of already. I did a search......

I hear most people talking about finding a balance between speed and accuracy, but nobody has ever described to me anything more than a vague idea of doing so.

I had a thought today. What if you correlated your split times with your downs? As you slow down, your hits should become more accurate. As you speed up, you'll start to miss. I have been thinking that it might be a good idea to perform some drills at varying speeds. Then, look at the split times and graph them against your downs. Then you can find what your 'balance' is between speed and accuracy.

Obvioulsy, this will vary with distance. Perhaps by doing so, you can teach yourself just how fast you can shoot at any given distance to make your hits.

What do you guys think? Is this a worthwhile effort?

Edited by CSEMARTIN

I was always told to get 90 - 95% of the possible points on each stage. Too low and you're going too fast, 100% and you're going too slow. Don't know if this holds water for anybody else, but it works for me...

Kinda like hit-factor... points per second. ;)

A good way to practice is to add a tenth (10 HF) or two (5 HF) to every point down. Easy to score and easy to see where your personal balance point is. Tweak the point-penalty to simulate other hit factors.

Some Non IPSC Clubs = my club included will use 'Time' penalties for non A hits.= .25 for a C and .50 for a D. This is just a bit more time than most would take to get the A over the C so it is a resonable penaltie. This will 'Wake you UP' after a fast run on a stage and end up with 1.5 seconds in penalties added to your time. IN this exsample it probly would have only taken .5 longer to get all 'As'-.

to make it more acurate we should have a sliding scale with .25 for targets inside 15 yards and .50 for targets out side 15 yards. But ... we dont.