Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mcclearn Firing Pin

ima45dv8

Has anyone used the new extra length firing pin crafted by Matt McClearn?

Shooter's Connection has it here.

A search showed the Limcat XL firing pin to be very popular with the forum members, but I couldn't find anything on Matt's.

Edited to correct spelling of Matt's last name.

Edited by ima45dv8

interesting. I use an sv firing pin on an sv standard pistol. 15 ibs ismi ms spring and a koenig hammer. hitting wsp primers i never had a problem for 27t plus rounds so far.

i was going to buy a limcat as insurance and then there is this new product.

Im also interested in other inputs as well

I got a couple of them. It is shorter than the Dawson and Limcat. The tip of the pin is just about flush with the breach face (while the others stick out.) This will help with the real bad primer flow (where it gets squished back into the FP hole but it doesn't do anything for very slight cratering (which is what I bought it for.)

I've got one in my Trojan. Seems like a good part. As stated, it doesn't protrude from the breechface with the hammer resting on it - so it's about the length of, say, the EGW extended firing pin (which is in my race gun). I wasn't having primer flow problems previously, but it does dent the heck out of primers, now (as compared to the stock STI firing pin).

........but it does dent the heck out of primers......

Cool! That's what I was hoping to hear. :D

Not doubting you but I haven't noticed any difference between the size of the dent on the primer between my stock sti and the mclearn.

I received my new McClearn firing pin from Chuck yesterday, then remembered I had loaned that gun out to someone (he knew it wasn't 100% but wanted a backup for a class he was taking). I'll install it as soon as I get my grubby fingers on it and provide a report after testing.

Edited to correct spelling of Matt's last name.

Edited by ima45dv8

Had a chance to test the new firing pin yesterday. Worked great. Ran about 200 rounds through, some slow, some VERY fast with no light strikes.

*We decided to try Bob Munden's trick of activating the trigger with the left hand while holding the gun with the strong hand. Holy She-ite! Once I got a feel for riding the sear this way, and letting the recoil of the gun help, I was able to rip off 7-8 rounds burst that were nothing short of full-auto! In fact, a concerned club member came over to see if we had snuck a class-3 MP5 onto the range.

What a hoot!